Who wants to help me shop?

Help and ideas for your sewing or quilting business.

Re: Who wants to help me shop?

New postby Pudge99 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:51 am

The search is on!!!!! Getting serious again. A possible location has been spotted. I need some suggestions for higher end yarn brands. I'm a Lion Brand gal myself but I want some finery too.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:34 am

Gina, you might want to check with Pam Erny of Fashion Sewing Supply in Alden, NY to carry her line of interfacings for clothing construction. They are American made according to her personal specifications ... she has whole line of interfacings which is the only brand that I buy. Pam sews and has wonderful tutorials. For tracing patterns, I'll buy Pellon but to put in a garment, I'll use Pam's product. She also carries wonderful elastic too. Don't discount Floriani stabilizers and embroidery threads either. For independent clothing patterns, contact the Association of Sewing and Design Professionals http://www.paccprofessionals.org, for a list of designers. I buy Silhouette patterns by Peggy Sagers, Loes Hinse designs as well as Textile Studios. I like all of them. Peggy is based in the Dallas, TX area while Loes Hinse and Textile Studios are based in Carmel/Monterey,CA area. Their patterns run about $15 but contain all sizes with excellent, clearly written instructions. I love their classic styles. For children's patterns, check out Cheryl Davidson's line of patterns. She is based in Lakeland, TN (a suburb of Memphis). She specializes in Heirloom sewing. Children's Corner in Nashville, TN is another brand as well as Brer Rabbit patterns Laurie Anderson in Columbia, TN. Another thing to consider is what are people willing to spend. You can have a wonderful, independent, high end fabric store but if people do not want to pay $15 for a pattern, $7 for a yard of interfacing, $4-5 for thread, then it will be a hard sell to them. I do not use Guttermann thread because what I have found locally is not a quality product in my opinion but many people love them. Allbrands and Sew True are great resources for notions. All of the Babylock sewing/embroidery machines are calibrated for Madeira thread with Finishing Touch bobbin thread. Superior Threads offer a course in Threadology to learn about the different fibers that make up thread. They are based in UT. Just my thoughts on what I would buy in a fabric store. No one around here carries much of what I mentioned though. Hope that this helps.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:46 am

Oh forgot to mention that Christopher Nejman has a whole list of products made in the USA as well as resources on his Facebook page. He is in Tampa, FL.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Previous

Return to Sewing/Quilting Businesses