Who wants to help me shop?

Help and ideas for your sewing or quilting business.

Re: Who wants to help me shop?

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:54 pm

I ordered wome of that Warm Tater all cotton Batting from Nancy's Notions, and I love that stuff. It is needle punched and has to be quilted every 5 inches.. There is absolutely no polyester screm in it.. This makes it safe for microwave.. I love working with it.. We are having fun making those warm tater bags.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby bridesmom on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 pm

I have found some really cute patterns for kids, but they are pricey, and that can turn people off. There is a great pattern company in Quebec, Canada, Jalie and they have very nice patterns as well, but again way more pricey than the big 4. I think it depends on what type of customer you want to bring in, and the type of fabric you will have, as if you specialize more in quilting fabrics then patterns for women's clothing that are based more on knits won't work. Green Pepper are nice patterns

http://www.abacadabra.com/
http://www.thegreenpepper.com/
http://oliverands.com/patterns/
http://pinkfigpatterns.com/
http://www.izzyandivydesigns.com/?page_id=8
http://www.farbenmix.de/en/sewing-guide.html
http://www.favoritethings.net/patterns/overview

I love the farbenmix patterns, have not purchaed an abacadabra one yet, but they are cute too. I adore favorite things patterns, they are very simple to sew but so unique.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby DorothyL on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 am

You probably can't compete with Joann's and the like for big four patterns so I wouldn't try to stock a lot of them. The little fabric shop I loved in Ithaca didn't bother with many patterns at all.
What is your downtown like? If there are a lot of little specialty type retailers You can probably go with higher end products or products that look higher end.
When I had a cross stitch shop there were a lot of companies that would not deal with places like Joann's or Walmart in order to keep up the appearance of being "better" and only in specialty stores.
I -- and I'm sure a lot of other people -- buy fabric from specialty stores when I can but buy patterns when they are cheap from Joanns. Then, when I'm ready to sew something I make a run to Joann's for the thread and other notions.
So perhaps when you are buying your original stock you would want to buy just a small amount of notions and lots of fabric until you know what the market is. Of course you probably know a lot about the local market from experience at the other store.
Another thing to think about -- fabric is often an impulse buy so you really don't do yourself any favors saving money by not taking credit cards -- unless there is an ATM right next door and even then people don't like that extra fee.

Just some thoughts from when I had a cross stitch store.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Pudge99 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:28 am

I get so annoyed with businesses that don't take credit cards. I don't carry cash, except when I know I am going to need it. Taking credit cards is smart business today. Businesses who don't loose sales. So I will budget and price accordingly so that I can afford to take them.

Joann and Hancock are both about an hours drive from here, so running there to get cheaper thread when gas is $3.50 a gallon doesn't compute. Lots of people come to the other store in town for their notions, so I need to have some if I expect to serve the people in this community.

Yes the downtown businesses are very touristy, so unique, higher priced items tend to sell. That would be why I am looking for unique pattern makers. Personally I am so fed up with the "big 4"...... they leave out instructions, sometimes whole steps, and you can tell by the wording that the person writing them has no clue what they are writing about. Plus with the smaller pattern companies I can pick and choose which patterns go with the fabrics I sell. No sense carrying formal gown patterns if I don't intend to carry that fabric.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby sewingmom on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:47 am

Libby, I accidently got some Warm and Natural batting in a wash load of towells. It cme through the wash in one piece and good shape to boot and I agree it is great to work with.
sewingmom

New postby DorothyL on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Joann and Hancock are both about an hours drive from here, so running there to get cheaper thread when gas is $3.50 a gallon doesn't compute.

That's great!!

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Pudge99 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:09 pm

DorothyL wrote:
Joann and Hancock are both about an hours drive from here, so running there to get cheaper thread when gas is $3.50 a gallon doesn't compute.

That's great!!

Dorothy

As a future business owner that is GREAT! As a shopper who refuses to set foot in the local fabric store it sucks.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby DorothyL on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:30 am

Soon there will a great new local fabric store and every one will be happy.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Gina, I only use Mettler/Metrosene thread for sewing garments. I use Finishing Touch bobbin thread & Madeira rayon embroidery thread along with a little Floriani thread. Superior Threads are great. Just my opinion.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Glad you posted that Marty, I've been very tempted to order Superior Threads but had never talked to anyone that had personally used them. I've been getting ..their newsletter for a while
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing/Quilting Businesses