I want to buy a fabric store.

Help and ideas for your sewing or quilting business.

Re: I want to buy a fabric store.

New postby pucktricks on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Okay, I love that store, it looks awesome! Admittedly it's that wall of buttons, and the panels they have up there, all fit my stage of life right now. I can think of uses for all of those panels..... Hmmm.......

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Geez it looks like you came to Canada...LOL. :lol: Is that MacDonald's across the street? Yep...we're all on the edges of our seats!!!!
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Pudge99 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:31 am

OK I typed this really long post describing my trip and then forgot to post it. When I finally remembered my session had timed out so I lost the post. :x So I am just gonna answer questions for now.
temom wrote:......And there is a leaky ceiling?

There was a leaky ceiling it's all fixed now. That picture is from The Crypt.

DorothyL wrote:Would you look at all those buttons!! How did the meetings go. Is the county in the mood to help out?
Dorothy

Yes there are more buttons there than the entire town could use in their lifetime I think. The meetings went better than expected. The development corporation has money to loan me at a better rate than the bank and they will finance up to half of the price. I just have to get my business plan written :roll: :roll: :roll: and find my down payment. If I knew 300 people willing to loan $100 dollars each to the cause I could have my down payment and a bit of money to work with while waiting for the money to start rolling in. Not that I am asking of course ;) ;) .

pucktricks wrote:......... I can think of uses for all of those panels..... Hmmm.......Ticia

You can have them Ticia (for a price of course.... hmmmm maybe $100 ;) ). The current owners are panel crazy. Those will be one of the first things to get downsized.

HeyJudee wrote:... :lol: Is that MacDonald's across the street? ...

Actually that is the McDonalds that I ate breakfast at. It was across the street from my overnight accomodations. But there is one not too far form the store.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby vickki on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Oh my I just love buttons...What a wonderful place...You are so lucky...
vickki

New postby SmilieFace on Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm reading a book now called The Martha Rules by Martha Stewart. It's geared towards entrepreneurs, but is a great book that I'd recommend (and I'm not even a big Martha Stewart fan).
SmilieFace

New postby sewhappyrtr on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:55 pm

Buttons... Buttons..... If they go.... can we all be the first to buy????? :D :D
Or anything else you need to get rid of.... :) :)
I like anything Disney.... :pray: :pray: :pray:

anyway... good luck with everything!!!!
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby Pudge99 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Cool! I will see if my library has that book.

You all will get first notification of the online store opening if and when this all goes through.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby pucktricks on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Oh, another book to buy is Guerilla Marketing, it's supposed to be great ideas on how to market your business for less.

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby Sewing Lady on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Gina,

Here in Dallas, we have a shop that ONLY sells buttons and fixings. They make the fabric covered buttons for us small timers. It seems that they do well. They have been in business for many years. They have buttons on the wall too. My thoughts are: Just make sure that there is a market (even if it is online) to cover the base cost. I know, from experience, that the first few years are the toughest. I don't mean to talk you down from your dream, but do drag one toe on the ground as your dreams soar to the sky.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby Pudge99 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Leighanna,

Oh yes the feet are firmly planted on the ground. Reality has set in. There is a LOT of work that needs to be done and unfortunately I will be the one who has to do it.
An accountant has looked at the books and is impressed. Both he and the banker think I need to count the inventory myself. They are nuts, but right (neither has a clue what that will involve).
If I buy this shop, my life as I know it will be over.
I won't be able to walk away (like I have from every job I have ever had) when the shit starts to fall. It will be my job to grab the shovel and clean it up.
I have a lot of thinking to do. I still want the store but if the bad ends up outweighing the good I will not buy it.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing/Quilting Businesses