Suggestions and Opinions Please.

Help and ideas for your sewing or quilting business.

How does my shop look? Check all that you agree with.

I like the name.
21%
Products are interesting.
9%
Descriptions are good.
18%
Photos look appealing.
9%
Prices are reasonable.
15%
Need more product of the same type.
6%
Need more diverse products.
9%
Need more expensive products.
No votes
Shipping policy is easy to find.
3%
Shipping charges are reasonable.
6%

Total votes : 32

Suggestions and Opinions Please.

New postby Pudge99 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:32 pm

I have recently opened a shop on Etsy. I was wondering if ya'll would go take a look. I would like constructive critisism, suggestions, opinions, etc. Please click below to go to my shop.
The Pudgy Ladybug

If you don't agree with one or more of the poll options please explain why in a post.

Thanks Everyone!
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

Re: Suggestions and Opinions Please.

New postby fabric_addict on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Generally the website is clean and clear and easy to navigate

1. I like the different views of the barettes
2. interesting products.
3. I like how you place a coin next to the product so that one can tell how big it is...(maybe do the same with a ruler and some of the other items?)

The following are some things I noticed that could use improvement. These are not meant as criticism but as some things that could help the visual appearance.
1. Some of the photos are out of focus or are dark. (e.g. the ladybug barrettes) I like to see closeups, various angles and well lit, attractive photos of products I may buy.
2. I was hoping to see some side views of the coasters and baskets and closeups of the fuzzy hare
3. I'd avoid having the "coming soon dog toys" if there are no images in there. It is confusing.
4. Could you makes some of the text on the site reflect the colors in your banner to help bring the site together (perhaps the links on the right side could be dark green?)
5. "ThePudgyLadybug's" is all together but you have the words separated in your banner, I'd suggest being consistent throughout the site. I prefer the words separated as in the banner
6. the information on top says to check the profile for the shipping info, but I coudn't seem to find the shipping information.
7. In the Bio, I'd suggest separating each paragraph with a blank line. I'd also suggest separating the information about yourself and the shipping/orders under separate headings. (if I was looking for shipping/ordering information only, I may have missed it because it was at the bottom of the paragraph with the first part being personal information. I tend to skim only through the first 1/4-1/2 of paragraphs and then move on if it doesn't seem to be the information I'm looking for.
8. Perhaps put your mailing address (if applicable) on the top of the page in the grey box

Good luck with your business
fabric_addict

New postby Pudge99 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately some of the items you suggest I fix are controled by Etsy.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby pucktricks on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:17 pm

I'll have to admit on these types of things I tend to look first at the pictures and then sometimes at the descriptions. So, definetley change around the pictures. From the other Etsy sellers I've seen I would recommend putting multiple variations of similar products. Oh, and a suggestion for advertising once you have LOTS of product is to go to Cool Mom Picks website and ask for a mention, they advertise cool kids products and those ladybug barettes are definetely one of them.

You'll have to let us know how you like it. I've been thinking about doing similar.

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby DorothyL on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:03 am

I didn't give much opinion on the products myself because I'm just not interested in hair ties. I liked the site though. I thought it was pretty easy to get around but I'd put the shipping info under the heading shipping info.
Good Luck.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Sewing Lady on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:50 am

Gina, I think its a great site. I agree that I would post more pics on the front page. When the ladies here were helping me they were correct the more pics the better. Maybe get the photo's content larger. I would love to see how you do with your site.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby Pudge99 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:23 am

Leighanna wrote:Gina, I think its a great site. I agree that I would post more pics on the front page. When the ladies here were helping me they were correct the more pics the better. Maybe get the photo's content larger. I would love to see how you do with your site.

Funny thing is... I was one of those ladies :doh: . I am limited to five pics per listing. For my hair gear I want to get a mannequin head so I can show pics of what it looks like on a head. I have to tell you that taking pics of the back of my own head like I did for one item was crazy. Had it been the old days I would have probably wasted 2 rolls of film.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby Sewing Lady on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:46 pm

Hey Gina, Maybe not use hair, Maybe just use a balloon or something bright or dull? Just to show off your work, and maybe with the little stand up guys, Put some kind of doll beside it to show its size?/?? Just a thought. Maybe make one (doll) to sell! :roll: :o
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

Return to Sewing/Quilting Businesses