Purple & Beige Quilt for VQC

Completed quilts and other quilted projects, plus tutorials!

Purple & Beige Quilt for VQC

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 am

Well I'm really late in posting this finish. The fabrics came in a kit that I was given to sew up. But I didn't have enough of the purple and black fabric to do the entire quilt. So I added a second purple and black fabric from my stash....yeah, I used up some stash... :applause:

I made the quilt top back in the beginning of June and actually finished quilting it the end of August. But I was too rushed to take a pic when it was finished so it has sat here on a chair until I finally got around to taking out the camera. And then while I was taking the pics, I discovered that I had missed quilting around one centre square. So after the pics were taken, had to go back and quilt that one square that I missed. But all is good now...the quilt is done and just needs to be washed before I take it in to our VQC meeting which I think is Sept. 17th. I really need to get my quilting mojo back big time...hoping that the startup of our guild and VQC meetings will help me with that.

Anyways, here are the pics I took...before it was really finished...LOL
PB-FullQuiltLarge.JPG
PB-FullQuiltLarge.JPG (239.05 KB) Viewed 6133 times

You can see the square I missed quilting on the left side
PB-Back.JPG
PB-Back.JPG (82.2 KB) Viewed 6136 times

And a closeup of the quilting
PB-Closeup.JPG
PB-Closeup.JPG (153.58 KB) Viewed 6133 times
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

Re: Purple & Beige Quilt for VQC

New postby bridesmom on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:18 pm

I quite like that boxy quilting style Judy! It looks great. I have a hard time doing the straight lines, they always want to curve on me!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Bama on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Very pretty Judy! :applause: :applause:
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby sewingmom on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:48 am

When are you going to start offering quilting classes and retreats? Imho the work on your quilts is superb. :dance: And how do you ladies that produce so much sewing, manage your time so the family, housework., errands., yardwork., church and fulltime jobs., all are kept in a reasonable condition?????
sewingmom

New postby HeyJudee on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 am

sewingmom wrote:And how do you ladies that produce so much sewing, manage your time so the family, housework., errands., yardwork., church and fulltime jobs., all are kept in a reasonable condition?????

Well...you haven't seen my house have you... ;) I'm retired & live by myself so no one has to worry about the condition except me. :roll: But I must admit that I haven't been doing very much sewing lately...or housework either. Reading and computer and family issues have been keeping me busy lately. Hoping that I will get more quilting done now that the fall is here.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Magot on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:56 am

Nice work Judy - I like the boxy spiral quilting in the border - though if it was me I would eyeball it and end up with half a boxy bit to put in the turning space. Did you mark and measure them or are you that good?!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:05 pm

I, too am admiring that Greek Key design around the quilt. I could try for 100 years and not get that good.. It is beautiful..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby vickki on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Well now I could try one like that thanks for posting,it's beautiful....
vickki

New postby pinecone on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks for posting the picture. Love the quilting, it gives it a nice personality. I need to stretch my imagination and do something different other than SITD or meander..... :think:

piney
pinecone

New postby HeyJudee on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:35 am

Magot wrote:...I like the boxy spiral quilting in the border - though if it was me I would eyeball it and end up with half a boxy bit to put in the turning space. Did you mark and measure them or are you that good?!

Well, I tried to eyeball most of the designs...although I used my hand to give myself a guide to try to maintain a standard size - I'd see where my hand lined up with a part of the pattern and aim to stop there. Other times I use a piece of painter's tape that I keep moving as I quilt. And sometimes I use markers to mark dots as guidelines. You will see from these closeups that my lines are not perfect but since everything is not perfect it still looks good.

Here's a pic with my hand to show how I used it as a guile. And I can't take the credit for this design. It's called "Chain Squares" that I learned from Angela Walters book (http://www.amazon.ca/Free-Motion-Quilting-Angela-Walters-Designs/dp/160705535X) which I purchased back in July. And I follow her blog too...http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/my-blog/...she's into quilting modern quilts and I love looking at her work.
ChainSquares.JPG
ChainSquares.JPG (86.77 KB) Viewed 5973 times

And for this design which is basically my own idea...I started at a midpoint of the square and quilted around the outside of the square. I eyeballed the midpoint of each side of the square and did a straight line from midpoint to midpoint. Then I did a curly brackets around from midpoint to midpoint...the curly bracket was an idea from Angela's book but not in this type of design. Then I thought the centre was kind of empty so I did a curved line to the centre, then curved out to the next midpoint and continued like this around the square. Then my design was done. No marking at all.
MyDesign.JPG
MyDesign.JPG (88.74 KB) Viewed 5974 times

And for quilting the straight lines in the block I did use a marker. I didn't take the pic of the block from the way I quilted it. You have to imagine that the right side was at the top. See the space is not perfectly divided either.
Lines.JPG
Lines.JPG (85.03 KB) Viewed 5972 times

First I started at the midpoint of the top (where you see the red arrow) and quilted all around the edge of the square until I got back to where I started. Then I quilted a straight line down the centre of the block. I took a marker and eyeballing where I would get 6 even strips, I made small marks along the centre straight line to give me a guide where to make the six lines. Then I quilted the 6 lines, etc. Just follow the arrows I have added to the pic to show how I quilted the lines.
LineOrder.jpg
LineOrder.jpg (23.19 KB) Viewed 5971 times
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

Next

Return to Completed Quilting Projects and Tutorials