Double hourglass on point - the jelly roll monster

Completed quilts and other quilted projects, plus tutorials!

Double hourglass on point - the jelly roll monster

New postby Magot on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:11 am

So to the many who have watched my journey into free motion quilting, thanks for sticking with me to the end!

I have finally finished the jelly roll quilt in time for Katie to move in tomorrow - she has a quilt I made for her in black and red that she may prefer to use, but long term I wanted to make something bright and cheery for the spare room. I had no idea when I started out at how dense my quilting was going to turn out to be on this quilt. It is amazing the amount of thread I have used.

Image It is a bit dark but you can see what I mean about density! The white squares are quilted with a bubble spiral in a square and then pebbled around. The plain fabric on the hourglass blocks are always quilted with a wormhole pattern and patterned fabric according to the pattern on the print. On the yellow stars a diamond lattice

on the lilac dots a zigzag, for example.
As the design was set on point there were the fill in triangles around the edges which I used a flame flower design
Image I love this - it is close to being my favourite bit of the quilt.

I think my fave bit though is the borders, by the time I had got to these I was well into free motion quilting and let myself go!

Image I had great fun with this! So the final thing_

I have yet to make pillow cases to match but they have now joined the UFO list - I have some strips to appliqué on to white cases to tie them together.

On the whole I feel this is one of my favourite things that I have made. It is not perfect - there are pleats and puckers on the back and the front - I pinned rather than basted this ( which I normally do) and I was hampered by being unable to lay the backing, batting and top out anywhere flat. Nowhere in my house has that much floor space. The binding is wonky and some of the quilting escapes the set areas - I don't care! It is mine from start to finish and I love it. The child like feel to the quilting and the modern textures give it is fun look. Many thanks to Judy for pointing me to Leah Day on You tube. I have watched so many tutorials and learnt so much, that I want the next one to start already! Time for some hot jazz but I need to save up my pocket money to buy supplies first. And I need to concentrate on my Christmas knitting and sewing. That's all folks!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

Re: Double hourglass on point - the jelly roll monster

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:19 am

WOW, WOW, WOW...Jan. Bravo! It is definitely a masterpiece and I love love love it. Wish I could see the quilting in person as I think it is fabulous.

Congrats on a quilt well done! :applause: :applause: :applause:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Magot on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:42 am

:oops: gee thanks
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 am

That is sooooo Beautiful.. I love it.. All the colors and then all the FM Quilting.. As usual with any creation of yours, it is a masterpiece ! ! ! And I admire the pattern of the quilt also.. I love the hourglass design, and am a little afraid of it.. (for myself)
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Magot on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 am

I did it after watching a Missouri Quilt company tutorial on Jelly roll tube piecing - it was so simple and quick Libby, the top was pieced in no time and the FMQ took for ever!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby lendube on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 am

I am beyond impressed, my dear Jan!! Now my admiration does not have the impact of say, Judy or Laura's, but WOW! I love it. You really, really make me want to dive out of my color safety zone. I want to go from the dark into the bright and light!! :D :dance:

(Now that is kind of strange considering you've done this from the "dark side".) :think:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Magot on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 am

It certainly is a change from other things I have done! Having the fabrics pre-sorted gave my the confidence to throw them all together - I needed to find the spotty material that I used for the thin border but I figured that would go with everything else being a) spotty and b) multicoloured in brights.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby Shellymoon on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Jan, it is beautiful!
Shelly Moon
Shellymoon

New postby bridesmom on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:55 pm

OMG! It is fantabulous!!!! I love love love it!!!! It's so bright and cheery and the quilting you did is amazing! Bravo Jan!!! It's truly a masterpiece!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingmom on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:31 pm

It is so beautiful. I love it. WOW!
sewingmom

Next

Return to Completed Quilting Projects and Tutorials