Tote/Diaper Bag

Completed quilts and other quilted projects, plus tutorials!

Re: Tote/Diaper Bag

New postby Mom of Six on Wed May 27, 2009 8:32 pm

The bag is great! It puts my tote bags to shame!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby Upholsteress on Thu May 28, 2009 9:19 pm

That is really sweet!!! I have discovered that a medium size tote is a very needful item... once baby outgrows the "Mom's gotta carry a portable Nursery" bag... these totes are PERFECT! Nice job !!!! :D
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby bridesmom on Thu May 28, 2009 11:59 pm

That is really cute! I'm beginning to think that the tote bag is the way to go as it seems the girls are getting so many blankets and quilts now, but DD keeps asking for qullts for her preggie friends. Do you still have the bag so you can post a picture of how you quilted the bears?
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby bridesmom on Fri May 29, 2009 12:00 am

Did you do the bears with a pattern, or did you just freemotion them or did you have a design? They look really good!
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby DorothyL on Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 am

I didn't notice the quilted bears at first. They are so cool.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Sat May 30, 2009 10:46 am

I'm so jealous! That is one fabulous bag! Almost makes me want to have a baby around again............HA! NOT!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sat May 30, 2009 5:48 pm

how long did it take you to plan it, buy the fabric, piece it out and quilt it???
I think its fantastic for those who can do all that... I don't think my mind is made that way... I need point by point directions for things.... ah welll....
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby HeyJudee on Sun May 31, 2009 4:57 pm

sewhappyrtr wrote:how long did it take you to plan it, buy the fabric, piece it out and quilt it???
I think its fantastic for those who can do all that... I don't think my mind is made that way... I need point by point directions for things.... ah welll....

Geez...I knew of the baby shower since the beginning of March, but didn't start the bag until Friday night, May 15th. (Didn't I mention in an earlier post that I'm the queen of procrastination! :think: ) I worked about 15 hrs to complete it with most of the work being done Mon-Wed. night (May 18 - 20) from between 7:30 and midnight. It was tough days at the office that week. BTW, this was the third bag I made with this pattern so I knew how it went together so I knew were to put the bears...like above the pockets and not where the straps are sewn. Some of you may remember these other two...http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyjudee/224111509/in/set-348651/, and http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyjudee/235557733/in/set-348651/

Laura, re the bear, it is the same bear that I've used on two other projects esp. the Bear Quilt that I made for a colleague at work. Below is a closeup of the bear and I usually do a bunch of designs on Golden Threads paper and whereever I want a bear, just pin the punched out design in place and quilt around the design. In the pic you can see the bits of paper that are still attached after I tear off the paper. I usually rub it with my fingernail or take my sewing tweezers and pick it out. That is the pain about using the paper but it isn't too bad. I just use the paper when I want something to really look nice and I'm not sure I can do it free hand. This design came from "Simply Continuous Friends" by Anne Bright which has lots of designs that can be used for kids.
http://www.annebright.com/shop/product/simply-continuous-friends/ Oh, I see she has other books...gonna have to check those out... :applause:
I usually make a copy of the design (using my printer) and then I will either enlarge or reduce it depending on the size I want.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby bridesmom on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:24 pm

I keep forgetting I have a roll of the golden threads paper in my drawer. The bears are really cute.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby vickki on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:27 pm

So beautiful....
vickki

Previous

Return to Completed Quilting Projects and Tutorials