My Sister has a new hip!

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Re: My Sister has a new hip!

New postby HeyJudee on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 am

Sending good thoughts your sister's way!
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm

She had a terrible reaction to a blood transfusion yesterday, they called a code, whatever that means. The team from ER came in and got her stabilized. Said her body reacted to some antibodies in the blood.. ?? They have a special device to put in her shoe so that keeps her foot in proper alignment.. She is a lot better today. She walked 2 times today up and down in the hall. 180 feet the first time and I forgot how many the 2nd time. Her Dr. said she probab;ly would go home on Saturday. Maybe tomorrow but , not to count on it.Her spirits are much better today. Thanks everyone for all the good wishes, prayers, and thoughts..I feel a lot better about her condition today..Her Dr. is topnotch....
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby pinecone on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Wow, she is one tough cookie! Glad she is back on track. A little every day.

piney
pinecone

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm so glad that the reaction to the blood transfusion was caught immediately & rectified. Sounds like she is slowly improving. Know that she is still in my prayers, Libby!!! I hope the rest of her recovery goes very smoothly.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Boy! That must have been scary. Glad she's over that. On to getting better now. Does she have someone to care for her when she gets home?
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewingmom on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 am

Its good to hear that your sister is some better. She is still in my prayers.
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Her hemoglobin dropped again, so they are going to give her blood after all. That has her uneasy, but they have decided as a precaution to give her Benedryl before they start.. That eased her mind a little.. I will probably have to spend a few nights with her.. Her daughter, SIL and 2 grands live only 2 blocks from her, but He is a cop, she has a job also and the 2 kids are in school but still too young to be alone with her. Of course they love to be her 'helpers' and they are good at that. I don;t think my neice is working right now. She travels and teaches software use to Hospital personnel. She chooses her times to work and has a lot of leeway in when to work and when to be off..Right now she had arranged to be off this week and I don't know how much more time.. But I am available for all except Thursdays, (the next 5) because I am teaching at our Adventures in Learning fall sessions thru Shepherds Center South-East. They merged the East (us) with the South so now our Director has charge of both.
The device that she wears on her leg and foot has helped her. She is walking a lot and of course that also helped her spirits..
I will keep you posted. Thanks for all thoughts and prayers.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Bama on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm glad your "little sister" is doing better Libby. :D Your big sister, little sister story made me smile. :D It's great that she has you to help her while she recovers.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby bridesmom on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Libby, reactions to blood transfusions are quite common, and thankfully they picked up on it quickly. It's kind of like a transplant (just a bit) and the body recognizes that this is something that isn't natural for it and it starts to fight against it. Kind of like an allergic reaction, hence the Benydryl. It's also very common for people to loose alot of blood during a surgical procedure like that and 'topping' them up is standard procedure. It sounds like she is in excellent hands! And the fact that she is up and walking is marvelous! No more of the keeping people in bed for weeks on end anymore, it's up and at it, the sooner you get moving the faster you seem to heal. Awesome stuff!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks everyone, She is doing well this time. The Benedryl did the trick, she feels better since the transfusion and best of all, they let her go home this evening right about suppertime. She is over the moon with that information. I have not felt good all day so I did not get up there today. She still says the best thing of all is the only pain in her hip is definitely from the incision. No more pain in the joint itself.. Thanks to all of you..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Wellness