Obama Care

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Re: Obama Care

New postby DorothyL on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:49 am

My doctors have laptops on wheeled stands they move from room to room. Mine shows me everything from my blood work on the computer -- that is the way he gets the info from the lab. Everything seems to be pretty seamless between various doctors and health care providers because the information is all in one place.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:19 am

Not here in Memphis ... and we have one of the best medical schools right here in Memphis. Even at my last hospital visit in April, 2012, there was a computer on the wall in my room but no one used it. Memphis is like a bunch of little small towns lumped together under one name. It is very devisive & everyone is territorial (even the suburbs). I'm just amazed that anything ever gets done. The only thing that really brings the city together is college basketball even though we have an NBA team. I've lived here for 40 yrs & the longer that I stay, the more that I want to move totally away from here. However, hubby who was born & raised here (on our street) thinks that it is a great place to live so I won't be leaving anytime soon.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Harriet A on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:43 am

My husband who is a doctor in Memphis and works part-time at the VA has said that everthing is electronic over there and it has been that way for years. I go to the West Clinic here and they are also electronic. He works part-time in private practice and at that office they are trying to go electronic, but my husband says that he can read a paper chart faster than it takes to find the information electronically. He is a psychiatrist.
Harriet
Harriet A

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Harriet - the VA pioneered electronic medical records in the US. They have a great system--it is so old now that it is in need of a cosmetic overhaul, but it is really functional and in a lot of ways better than the system at our university's hospital.

What's really great about the VA is that you can access information from any VA, as they are all on the same system. This is absolutely vital when there is something urgent is happening to a patient who is transferred from another VA and there is no time to wait for someone at the other hospital to find the paper charts, sort out the needed records, and fax them over.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Health and Wellness