run-in with the heat

Support and discussion for health related issues.

run-in with the heat

New postby Shellymoon on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:34 pm

I went out this morning around 10 a.m. to ride my bike. Yes, I live in Texas, and yes it's hot. I'm used to that and it doesn't really bother me that much anymore.
I got to the end of the trail and started to come back and began to get very sick. At one point I almost passed out. When I finally got home, I could barely breathe.
Guess I was having a reaction to the heat.
I was only out there one hour, which is about usual for me. But usually I go in the evenings. It is much hotter at that time of day, but the sun is not shining directly in my face as it was on my return trip today.
I have a horrible headache now.
So, to everyone who needs to leave the house today, be sure to take water with you (I forgot mine today) and take breaks--even if you're out there for only a short time!
Shelly Moon
Shellymoon

Re: run-in with the heat

New postby lendube on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:46 pm

And here I was thinking that you had been arrested. :D You know, protecting a source or something romantic like that................

It's an issue around here a lot too. We have lots and lots of hiking trails and it's amazing how many folks come up to the mountains for the day to hike in the heat with minimal hydration available. One bottle of water for a three hour hike in 90 degree temps is NOT going to cut it! They become someone else's problem. I can't tell you how many calls dh went on over the years in just such incidences. Heat stroke is serious business for humans and animals. Not to be taken lightly.

Get those electrolytes balanced, Shelly, and that headache should go away. Glad you're okay.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:50 pm

I was kind of thinking that too, expecting some kind of cop and hormonal female issue!!! Glad you are ok though Shelly!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:07 pm

Glad that you're okay, Shelly. I take a 20 oz water bottle with me to drive to the doctor's office as it is 45 minutes each way. It takes forever for my van to get cool. Today the high temp was 97 with a heat index of 107 degrees. I was a little light headed as I had to fast all day for a blood test & wasn't seen until 4pm even though my appointment was at 2:30pm. I carried some peanut butter cookies with me & had 2 after the blood was drawn. I stopped at Perkins Restaurant & ate dinner before driving home. It is much too hot after 6am to be out riding a bike.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Shellymoon on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 pm

oh my, my subject line got me in a lot of trouble I can see!

Unfortunately, shortly after I posted this the headache got much worse and turned into the worst migraine I've ever had. I spent about 3 hours throwing up while feeling like someone was stabbing me in the eye.

Learned my lesson--always take water, stop halfway and drink it, and don't ride straight into the sun.

And Marty, I can't ride that early in the morning. It's too dark! And if I waited for it to cool off, I'd never get out of the house. Only time I won't ride is when the temp gets above 100 or it's too dark. Those are the days I go to the gym. Otherwise, I'm out there.

I have learned to be at peace with the heat, much the way some of ya'll have learned to live with 1 foot of snow on the ground!
Shelly Moon
Shellymoon

Return to Health and Wellness