Bifocals!!!

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Bifocals!!!

New postby Pudge99 on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:48 pm

It's official....I am a mature adult. I went to the eye Dr. today for a much needed eye exam, my arms are too short to read most things now. He said I needed bifocals. :ugeek: Yikes! So in about a week I will be joining the mature adults and wearing a snazzy pair of bifocals. Growing up is so grand. Next year I qualify for a colonoscopy. Yippee me! :dance:
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

Re: Bifocals!!!

New postby bridesmom on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:53 pm

Yes, but soon you'll be able to get all those senior discounts!!!! Just kidding!! Kind of. I was really freaked the first time I realized I qualified for a senior discount, now I look for them, heck, if I can save $5 or more, why not!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:01 am

I've had bifocals since my 30's. I have an astigmatism so it helps me to see better especially doing close up work in sewing. I've had a colonoscopy every 4 yrs since I was 45. The procedure has improved immensely over the last 15 yrs.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:02 am

I should have gotten them the last time I went and the eye dr. did mention them but increased my regular Rx just a little to see if it would get me by (her idea). I went for a re-check a month later and was doing fine.

That was mid-Feb or so I think and now I'm having troubles. I am near-sighted to begin with but now I have trouble closeup as well. I have to take my glasses off to read labels and that's a sure sign you're getting old!

I plan to see her asap. Joe and I both had vision insurance but I can't remember when which one was last used. We kept both so that each year, we'd have a benefit as two kids wear contacts.

I hope I used mine last since I no longer have it and might be able to use Joe's a little early. Our computer is still down so I haven't looked to see which was which and never think to call the eye dr until after hours.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby DorothyL on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:49 am

When I got bifocals I still just took them off to read.
After that I just got some cheaters. I did get some prescription cheaters but they suck -- except the frames I love the frames. Then I discovered they are great for the computer. So I have three pairs of glasses one for the TV and driving, one for the computer and one for reading.
Sometimes I'm pretty funny with one pair on my head, one hanging from my neck and one on my face.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:08 am

Welcome to our world, Gina. It's not so bad. I started wearing them at about 44, I think. I bought the cheaters and wore two pairs of glasses for a while. Then I switched over to progressives and they're great. I don't like them for driving. It makes it hard to check side mirrors because you have to look down. Dh has a hard time since he needs them to read the controls on the dash but I don't. My eyes aren't that bad.

And yes, I've found my glasses on top of my head. I wear them there all the time. I can imagine how funny you must look, Dorothy!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:58 am

My eye Dr. told me when I was in my Twenties, that as I got older my Near=sightedness would start to improve and for a while about 45 or so, I would have very good vision. Then at 45 or so, He said I would begin to get far-sighted and need reading glasses. Well the part about good vision came in right on time, but I was in my 60's before I needed the reading glasses. I was lucky. DS is only 51 and he already has them stronger than mine. Dr. says I have cateracts, but I have not been bothered by them yet.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingmom on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 am

Saw a woman at the drugstore yesterday and her sunglasses were. Hanging under her chin, as if she had set them on top of her head and they slid forward when she bent over. It was all I could do to keep myself from walking p to her and telling her that she needed to adjust her glasses. She just stood around chatting waiting on her perscription. Do you suppose she intentionly hung them that way?
Gina., I hope you enjoy your new better vision.
Dorothy., I am thinking about going the Multi pair of glasses route. The progressives are too darned costly. Sam's club has some pretty good reading glasses 3 pair in a pkg. The work as good or better than the reading portion of my progressives.
sewingmom

New postby carman on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:56 am

i have had progressives since i was in my late 30"s. but i only wear them when maybe once a year :o or when i get i this eye infection every 3 years :shock: i wear my contacts 24/7 other wise and have cheapy reading glasses all over the house and in my purse :D without glasses or contacts if you ask me to look at the eye chart, i would be asking you where to look lol. one of the reason i hate glasses is the limited vision they give, contacts are always where they need to be and no matter which direction i look i have no blurry spots

carman
carman

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Carman,

My dd22 said the same thing about her contacts. She wears them 24/7 because she cannot see 6" without them. When she got pinkeye and had wear her glasses (hates them, thick coke bottle lenses), she couldn't figure out which was shampoo and which was conditoner in the shower so I said "green before silver" because that's the color of the tops of the pump bottles. After that, she just wore her glasses in the shower.

Joe has bifocals from the eye dr for reading but would rather wear the cheaters from the drug store. I occasionally borrow them for needle threading if I can't find his magnifying glass that clamps on the table.

Kathy
kjh9835

Next

Return to Health and Wellness