Color of eyes.

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Color of eyes.

New postby lendube on Thu May 24, 2012 3:59 pm

This is weird. Until I was in my mid-forties or so I always had brown eyes with green here and there. Now my eyes have very little brown left in them. I have green eyes and even changed it on my driver's license. I have asked an optician and an opthamologist and neither one could answer me when I asked why that would have happened. I chalk it up to hormones. That's how I explain any bodily mystery away. Works for me!

I've just accepted this and now just yesterday I noticed my ds' eyes are doing the same thing. Exactly. And he's only 29. I had a flashlight and was checking because he had gotten something in his eye and it was very painful. Didn't find the irritant but I noticed the color of his eye. When I mentioned it he said he'd noticed it too.

Anyone have the answer? Happen to you?
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Color of eyes.

New postby bridesmom on Thu May 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Uh, no, that's totally weird, must be hereditary if DS is doing it too. The web gurus say it could be diet, or health issues, mild pigment loss due to age, but that doesn't cover DS. I'd think that unless they are bothering you otherwise should be ok, but you may want to mention it next eye checkup jic. Some dr commented this:
changing colors of the iris is due to gene alteration of the cells there in your iris... on other words... its because of your DNA. No answer has been found why do these cells alter their genetic make-up.

Iris also contains melanin. If the body is exposed to UV rays... melanin production increases... Your skin becomes dark, but other melanin containing parts of the body, takes time before they can produce melanin to protect the body from UV.

Whites have less melanin... Look at the hair and the skin.. So light pigment is seen.. and so are the eyes. But look at the brown and black people.. they have more melanin... Look at the hair and skin, more pigment is seen and so are the eyes.. It's really uncommon to see a black man with blue or green eyes... and a blonde with black eyes...

Maybe it's because you didn't get any sun this winter, and your eye tan has faded???
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Mule on Thu May 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Eye tan? :lol: :lol: I haven't heard that one before....

Our bodies do strange things some times. My mom had treatment for cancer a few years ago. It didn't cause her to lose her hair the way it does for some people, but her hair started growing in dark brown! So she's in her mid-seventies and doesn't even need to color her hair....I'm not wishing for cancer or the treatment that goes with it, but I must say it would be nice to skip those monthly coloring sessions!
Beth
Mule

New postby Bama on Thu May 24, 2012 8:44 pm

That is weird. :think:
My kids were both born with blue eyes which later turned brown. I guess that's common with babies.
My DH has hazel eyes that sometimes look green, depending on the color of his shirt. My eyes are dark brown.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby MartySews2 on Fri May 25, 2012 6:37 am

My eyes are a grey blue now although growing up, I was told that I had hazel eyes. If I wear a certain shade of green, a little green will show up but for the most part, they are a greyish blue tint. One thing that I have had happen to me is that my right eye has started swelling shut, itches & burns all of the time. I've seen the opthalmologist for it & he calls it blapheritis (an inflammation of the eye lash line). I also have psoriasis of the eye. Stress seems to irritate it for the most part. I use a prescription eye drop & two ointments for the eyes but it keep flaring up as soon as I stop the drugs. The ointments are $80 for 3.5gm tube & the drops are $60. I also have dry eye syndrome so use Systane gel drops for relief. I keep thinking that these are symptoms of aging or a reaction to the combination of all of the different meds that I have to take each day. Neither my primary care doctor nor my opthalmologist can give me a reasonable explanation as to why this has happened. Just one of those quirks is what I call it. Lennie, I've never heard of irises changing colors but then you're one in a million. :D :D :D
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Fri May 25, 2012 7:29 am

Wow, Lennie, that is weird. Hazel eyes change the appearance of color depending on what you wear but that seems to go beyond that.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 pm

My DM had hazel eyes all her life. Mine were brown when I was a kid.Nowadays they are hazel, just like DM's.When I was a little kid my eyes were very dark brown. The photos all show that. even though they are B & W. I thought I was the only one whose eyes faded but a lot of my friends reported the same thing happening to them.When Mom wore blue her eyes would reflect blue color, but any other time they were green or yellow green as hazel is called.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby lendube on Fri May 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Whelp, I guess I'm just weird and so is my offspring. We're two in a million. Gee, thanks. :oops:

Colorwise my hair has naturally done it too. As a newborn I was truly a redhead, no doubt. (Scared my mom to death because she thought I looked like a really ugly uncle of my father's :D :D :D ). As my hair grew in it turned to blond. Not just blond but I was towheaded till I was 4 or 5 and after that my hair just got darker and darker brown. Guess I just have weird color genes.

Genetically speaking my dad was brown haired and very blue eyed, my mom brown/brown. No changes. Hmmmm, :think: Oh, I think my two brothers are doing the same eye thing too. Our teeth are all exactly the same too. Well, they should be the same in everything since they're identical twins. :? Their hair was always just brown though. And my dd was towheaded before turning a light brown. My ds was always just brown. Genetics-----------an interesting subject.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby DorothyL on Sat May 26, 2012 7:39 am

Colorwise my hair has naturally done it too. As a newborn I was truly a redhead, no doubt. (Scared my mom to death because she thought I looked like a really ugly uncle of my father's ). As my hair grew in it turned to blond.

Mine went from red to towhead blond too but then it turned red. Not ginger red but not strawberry blond -- red.
Then, in my late 40s and 50s it went from red to blondish to red again about every 6 weeks when I saw the hairdresser. One time it went a kind of steel gray which was pretty awful. Then it went back to red again. Now it is light grey going white.

But my eyes haven't changed color.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Sat May 26, 2012 3:02 pm

I remember one year when DS was in primary , grade 1 or 2 and the kids had to write about their family. He wrote, my mom has orange hair, but sometimes it's yellow. I've gone back to my natural color a few years ago but am back now to a really deep red and a big white blond patch just for fun. I have thought about going natural and letting the grey show, but just can't bring myself to do it yet.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Next

Return to Health and Wellness