The weirdest thing about my surgery yesterday.

Support and discussion for health related issues.

The weirdest thing about my surgery yesterday.

New postby lendube on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:59 pm

You're not going to believe it. To numb up my nose before the sinus surgery.........they coated it with cocaine! Do you believe it? Do you think that's why I might have had trouble sleeping much last night? Duh! :roll:

Everything went fine and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. I've had a minor headache, really nothing, and my throat was very, very sore from the intubation. Everyone was incredibly nice. There were a few delays so we didn't get home till 11:00 pm. After the not eating all day I still wasn't hungry but on the way home I had such a craving for salt. We stopped at a McD's for a small order of fries. Thought I might eat 3 or 4 fries but I ate the whole bag. :D Still craving salt and hearty food and I'm just sooooo thirsty.

Take out pizza tonight, I think. :think:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: The weirdest thing about my surgery yesterday.

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Glad that's over and done with and you are ok. You won't have to have a drug test for anything will you????? ;)

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby Jeke on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:33 pm

So glad it all went well and is over! Cocaine ~ interesting. Who would have thought?
Jay
Jeke

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Glad that your surgery went well, Lennie, & that you're home resting comfortably (I hope).
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks, guys. Here's what I found just now.

"What many people may not realize is that cocaine is also used in medical care, especially in the ENT world.

Cocaine is one of the most potent anesthetics and vasoconstrictors. These two characteristics make it an ideal medication for use during sinus surgery as well as any nasal procedure where bleeding and pain may be an issue.

Many physicians will use cocaine to help stop nosebleeds.

Many surgeons use cocaine during sinus surgery to minimize post-operative pain as well as minimize intra-operative bleeding. Use of cocaine also significantly decreases risk of nosebleeds after sinus surgery as well as minimize need for nasal packing."

Interesting, huh? "Packing" was what scared me most. Heard it's so painful to have removed. So, what's wrong with a little cocaine instead??? Shheeesh! And no, Kathy, don't think I have any drugs tests coming up............ :shh: :anxious:

Doin' fine. Just a little weak and like I've been put through the wringer. Ibuprofen is enough.
Lennie

lendube

New postby bridesmom on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:59 pm

That's very interesting Lennie. Glad you are feeling good though.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:50 pm

In Memphis, they use Demerol/Versed for nasal surgery ... never heard of the doctors using cocaine. I would not be comfortable with that if it were me.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:01 pm

MartySews2 wrote:In Memphis, they use Demerol/Versed for nasal surgery ... never heard of the doctors using cocaine. I would not be comfortable with that if it were me.
Marty ;)

Demerol/versed would be for general anesthesia. You would also need lidocaine for local anesthesia (like they use at the dentist). Surgeons usually have to add epinephrine to lidocaine to decrease bleeding, but cocaine does both at once. My guess is that they are using very small amounts compared to what would be abused. It's unfortunate that the fear of abuse has made many useful medicines harder for doctors to access.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby lendube on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:22 pm

I wasn't told beforehand about the cocaine but had he told me it wouldn't have bothered me after an explanation. Any drug is a drug is a drug. I made sure when asked to tell them that I am very sensitive to epinephrine. I have had bad experiences with dental work (hyperventilating/very rapid heartbeat, etc.) so according to Kaitlin this sounds like it was best for me. And to help avoid the dreaded "packing". Yes! Apparently the cocaine did make my blood pressure spike and after getting some meds for that I crashed hard when it dropped suddenly, cold sweats and nausea. Not fun but it didn't last long. I was also given Versed. Don't know about the Demerol.
Lennie

lendube

New postby Bama on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm glad things went well Lennie. It's good to hear you didn't need the packing. I've heard it's pretty rough. Interesting about the cocaine. :think: I very much agree with Kaitlin's last sentence. I have a dear friend with severe MS who has been told she might benefit from a certain substance but unfortunately she can't get it here legally. :(
I hope you continue to do well Lennie.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

Next

Return to Health and Wellness