My legs are killing me

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Re: My legs are killing me

New postby sewhappyrtr on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:33 pm

kjh9835 wrote:when I mentioned it to the massage therapist they said to soak in a tub with vinegar since massage releases something from the tissues and vinegar will pull it out of your system or something like that. I can't remember as its been quite a few years ago.

My massage person gives me Epsom salts with essential oil mixed in to put in my bath water and soak in that afterwards. and also to drink lots of water after the massage
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:28 pm

I see the rheumatologist on Thursday the 22nd. Not much else can be done til I see them. I know I can "make" myself go to work and get thru the day like I've done for the past month but there's no reason to do that to myself. I called my boss and told her and she said all consecutive days count as one and I didn't need to get FMLA until I find out what's wrong and if it will be necessary at that time (IMO, they really don't like it when employees get/take FMLA but nothing they can do about it).

Been up again since 3am, did the laundry, cleaned up the sewing room, took a nap b/c I got "woozy" after taking a pain pill (that happens sometimes, sometimes not). Have to meet dd19 this evening at the half-way mark to give her some stuff she wanted but neither of us had time (her) or felt like (me) making the whole 3 hr round trip. It would take me longer as I'd have to stop to get out and walk/hobble around if my legs got too bad. Not to mention, it's hard to drive when your foot is numb (that's getter better but still comes and goes).

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby sewingmom on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:07 pm

I was in the er tonight helping the er Doc find something on his computer and the he saw the brace on my hand/wrist and asked about it. after explaining about the surgery last summer, he suggested I take 500 MG of Kreel oil daily and large doses of fish oil. He said the kreel oil would fight inflamation as good as any anti inflamation drugs and is not harmful to the body. He said heavy doses of the fish oil are good for the heart. Kathy, perhaps these would help you with your pain. He told me it would take 3 weeks to show any effect.
sewingmom

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Saw the dr. yesterday, he acted like I was an inconvenience to him, poor "bedside" manner. Wanted to know why I was there b/c with my symptoms, I needed to see a neurologist not a rheumatologist. He also asked why I hadn't had an MRI yet and I told him my primary dr would not order it but said he could do one if he wanted. And why hadn't I seen the pain dr. if I was in pain? I told him my appt. wasn't til mid-April, I was on the cancellation list and they had no openings!

I do not like to be treated like that! BUT, he did do an exam, said I had fibromyalgia, gave me an Rx for Flexeril at bedtime which is a muscle relaxer and told me to stay on the Lyrica 75 three times a day. He also ordered an MRI of my lumbar spine and I had that done this morning, no results til Mon/Tues. He also said I had bursitis in my hip joints, left worse than right so gave me a steroid (Kenalog) injection while I was there.

The meds make me loony, hallucinations, can't think right, get sweaty and feel like wet spaghetti when I take them as ordered. I cannot function like that. I am supposed to be walking every day but it's rained all day today and the treadmill quit a few months ago. I've hurt all day since I had to get that quilt done and didn't take pain pills. Its done and delivered so I'm getting in the tub of hot water, taking my meds and going to bed.

Hope to get more answers first of the week.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby bridesmom on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Kathy, I'm glad you are getting somewhere even if it's slowly. At least you are getting some answers. I'm sure there are other ways to treat fibromyaglia, I know it's not a nice thing to have but some of the women at work have it and are functioning fairly normally. Hang in there woman! Keep pushing through all the red tape and you'll get some answers.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks Laura.

I've slept so good the last two nights that I haven't even felt Joe when he came to bed after working evening shift. The morning stiffness doesn't last as long either so that must be the Flexeril helping. I still start hurting a few hours after I'm up doing stuff but at least at home I can work at my own pace and sit down/stand up as needed. My left hip isn't hurting nearly as bad either so the shot helped that too.

Joe's off this weekend and the only thing we have to do is clean off the front porch and go to Vincennes Sunday for a birthday party. We are leaving early in case we have to stop so I can walk around a few minutes. I'm excited to go visit with dd19, her boyfriend, dd20 and her boyfriend b/c when they came here a couple weekends ago for a visit, I slept most of the time due to the pain meds. Hopefully they'll let me get a family pic of the six of us since dd16 and dd22 are going with us.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby Bama on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm glad to hear you are getting at least some relief. I hope you get more answers from the MRI.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby Mule on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm glad to hear you're finally getting somewhere, although it sounds like the treatment plan needs a lot of tweaking. It might take a little time to get it just right since you have more than one condition. This doctor may be short on bedside manner, but at least it sounds like he has some of the answers, and he was willing to order an MRI. I can't believe your primary care doctor wouldn't order one -- did he give you a reason why he wouldn't? Sounds like it's time for a new primary care doctor, but just my opinion... :|

One of my sisters has fibromyalgia, as well as arthritis. She developed both conditions in her early 30's, but has managed to deal with them successfully for over 20 years so far.
Beth
Mule

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:20 am

Primary dr would not order one b/c it has been less than a year since my last MRI and I have no back pain.

I met a lady at Hobby Lobby maybe two weeks or so ago, helped her find some fabric. She noticed I was leaning on the cart and asked me if I was ok. She ended up giving me the name of another lady whose spouse was recently diagnosed (I hadn't yet been) and said if I did have it, to call her and she'd give me the name of the dr. they are using. The lady goes to her church and she didn't have her number but I can call the church today and get some more info from her. She said that she herself has fibromyalgia but her primary dr. mangages her and she only went to a rhematologist years ago for her diagnosis (she lived elsewhere at that time).

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:46 am

Got my MRI results, not good. Have to see a neurosurgeon b/c I have two disc protrusions (L4-5, L5-S1), L4-5 is the one that was bulging on the last MRI last year so it has gotten worse. Most likely that is the cause of the radiating pain down my legs.

Not sure yet who I will see, have to check with ins. to make sure they are in-network. I called my boss who told me to come in today for FMLA papers and short term disability claim papers so I'll do that this afternoon.

Kathy
kjh9835

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Wellness