Ended up in emergency yesterday.

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Re: Ended up in emergency yesterday.

New postby Mom of Six on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:38 pm

momquilts wrote:Hey 2 goods outweigh the one bad! Hope you're feeling better soon, I know sinus infections can get bad.

I have been stuffed up since the first of the month. Having high blood pressure I can't take decongestents or so I thought, Dr. told me today that if I thought I needed them I could take them for 1 or 2 days & that the pain from the sinuses could raise the blood pressure as much as the meds would. She told me to keep using a saline spray (and gave me a sample of a high strength one) she also gave me some breath right strips for nightime & said use a humidifier as much as possible. Hopefully my headaches go away soon!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:19 pm

I got good news today also. My doctor has arranged for me to have a one hour one on one consultation with a renal nutritionist at the hospital for free. Finally, maybe I can get some answers as to how to maintain my kidney function without having further dialysis treatments. Both of my kidneys are permanently damaged & are functioning at about 38%. Complications of advanced heart disease & diabetes caused acute renal failure not to mention an allergic reaction to an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) that I was taking for the arthritis pain. In spite of all of my medical challenges, I still am able to sew & teach others to sew. My new wheelchair has been ordered so I hope insurance will approve the expense. If not, I'll have repairs made on my old one but it wearing out. It's almost 9 yrs old. The upholstery is beginning to split & the wooden frame in the back is cracked. Am praying that this will be approved as without it, I would be totally housebound. I cannot even walk 50ft without being short of breath anymore.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:51 pm

At least we are getting some good news! Barb, have you ever tried the sterile ocean water nasal spray, it's supposed to be fantastic. I have some that I used when I got my ears repierced and she suggested using it for sinus problems, etc. It worked great for healing my ears. I have seen some advertised on tv lately, almost the same stuff.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingmom on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Barb, I hope the saline works. I use it at least once a day to help ward off airborn allergens and colds. I have gotten by pretty well this year. I pray your headache is soon a thing of the past.

Marty, I am glad that you are finaly getting the nutritional counseling you have wanted and needed. We'll all pray for success with the information and for success with the insurance approving the wheelchair.
sewingmom

New postby Mom of Six on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:25 am

Laura what she gave me is called Ocean Sinus irragation & it comes in an aerosol can with 2 different tips. 1 for spray & 1 for stream. I used the stream yesterday but switched to the spray nosel last night because I think the spray was wasting too much
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:25 am

Barb, my hubby has severe sinus problems & he makes his own saline rinse with baking soda, salt & warm water. He uses a sinus rinse bottle (NeilMed from Walgreens) & replaces it about every quarter. I/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp of baking soda to 8oz of warm water. It's much cheaper to use & does the same job as the purchased sprays according to our ENT doctor. He uses it every morning & every night. He keeps his sinuses open & has cut his infections to less than 3 a yr.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 am

Marty, that is the same aperatus I have used for over a year now and have greatly reduced my nasal/sinus symptomes. I will try the addition of 1/4 tsp bit of baking soda. I use the whole bottle everytime I rinse 1-2 times a day and I use a whole tsp of salt. I did work up to it. I also rinse out my bottle with hotwater and them and antiseptic mouth rinse just for cleanliness. I noticed at the drugstore that the Neli-med apperatus is now microwave sterilizable.
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Sewingmom, the ENT doctor told my hubby that 1 tsp of salt was too much as he tried that ... one should only use 1/4 tsp of salt with a 1/4 tsp of baking soda so as to not to burn your sinus cavities. It's very effective.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby Bama on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:39 pm

I love my Neti pot! I also use salt (not iodized) and baking soda. Much cheaper than buying the little packs to mix the solution. I bought both of my kids one and none of us have had a sinus infection for several years.
We used to use warm tap water until that article came out about the two women in La. dying from an infection they got by using contaminated tap water in their Neti pots. Now we use distilled water, or boil the water first and let it cool.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby Jeke on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:49 pm

I am hoping everyone is having a better health day. I keep wishing Armando would make a house call to Montana ~ I could really use a foot and shoulder massage. No tango lessson though.
Jay
Jeke

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Wellness