Suspecting my dd has Lyme Disease.

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Suspecting my dd has Lyme Disease.

New postby lendube on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Anyone have experience with Lyme Disease? Dd and her new dh just moved out to a new property with a rustic (read old but cozy) cabin and 24 acres of property three weeks ago. She told me on the phone yesterday that she'd been bitten by a tick on her lower back shin. Today it's nasty looking with an "angry" red circle around it. It's not "iffy", it's very "absolutely". She showed me this afternoon when I went over there to walk the dogs with her. She says it hurts too. We definitely have the deer ticks in the area and periodically people become infected. She just called and she's worried. Me too. She talked to dh and they both decided she should call a nurse friend of all of ours to see if she can wait till tomorrow or if she needs to drive the 1 1/2 hours to get immediate help tonight. The nurse works at a clinic 1/2 hour away and will know where dd (who has no health ins. Damn this system!) can go and not have it cost $10,000.00 to get treatment!

Dd just called back and I did research online. I guess it's not immediate but she's going tomorrow a.m. to the clinic and will get taken care of. We should find out more then. It may not even be Lyme.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Suspecting my dd has Lyme Disease.

New postby Jeke on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Prayers for your daughter and you! I don't know much about Lyme disease but it doesn't sound pretty.
Jay
Jeke

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Getting it looked at is definitely the right thing to do. The antibiotic usually used to treat Lyme disease (doxycycline) is available as a generic and should be very inexpensive even without insurance - it's even on the Walmart $4 list. There's the cost of a clinic visit and testing (which may not be necessary if the story and the rash fit), of course, but it shouldn't be anything exorbitant.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby sewingmom on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:07 am

Lennie, I bet this is one time you hope you are wrong about the diagnosis. I will keep DD in my prayers.
sewingmom

New postby Bama on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:35 am

I hope your dd doesn't have it. Is she itching? I've heard that that's an early symptom. One of my cousin's had it about 15 years ago. He was sick for weeks before they finally tested him for it.
A friend's husband was diagnosed with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in late summer/early fall. At first he thought he had the flu, but kept getting worse until his wife made him go to the doctor. I've known 4 people who have had that. We don't hear of as many getting Lyme disease here.

I've had a bite on my leg before (I have no idea what bit me then) that had a red circle around it for about a day. It felt hotter than the rest of my skin. I felt fine and the redness faded so I didn't go to the doctor. It scared me when I saw it though.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Any news?

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby lendube on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:49 pm

No, not really. The bite looks worse. Not bigger but just darker red. Dd feels fine and she had a dr. appt. for this morning but to qualify for a reduced charge she needed her photo i.d. and her dh had it in his truck and he was at a job far away. Sheesh! No more appts till Monday, which she took, but apparantly it doesn't seem to be a big deal to put it off for a bit. Seems to take around 2 weeks for symptoms to show and if you catch it before then it shouldn't be a problem. She should be just fine putting it off till Monday. We don't even know if it's Lyme. It could just be an infected bite for all we know.

Thanks for asking.
Lennie

lendube

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Antibacterial soap a few times a day would be a good idea along with some antibiotic ointment. If the redness spreads up or down in a line, she needs to get it checked asap. I don't know anything about Lyme but any bite/sore/wound, etc should be kept as clean as possible and be on the lookout for spreading redness or swelling. Cellulitis (inflammation of cells) along with infection is not fun. Keep it propped up if it starts to swell. WebMD is a decent site for information but my connection is really slow tonight.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby lendube on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:36 pm

I told her to be sure and use betadyne but she told me the sore is no longer open. It's healed on the surface although it's still nasty looking, a very dark red circle around an almost black center. She's very certain she got the entire tick out of her leg. We're quite familiar with ticks so digging them out of our animals (and us occasionally) is nothing new. It's a bit painful and a bit swollen and luckily she's concerned enough not to take chances. Thanks, Kathy.
Lennie

lendube

New postby kaitlinnegan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:11 am

Oh gosh, Lennie. That doesn't sound like Lyme disease at all, but it does sound terribly infected. Black is never a good thing when it comes to wounds -- it means there is dead (necrotic) tissue that may need to be removed. I hope she can get in to see a doctor soon.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Health and Wellness