October is.....

Support and discussion for health related issues.

October is.....

New postby kjh9835 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:38 am

.......National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I do not normally post things like this but if it is time for your annual mammogram or if you are 40 or over and have not had one yet, PLEASE schedule an appointment now.

I found what I thought was lump about 8 weeks ago in my left breast. It did not hurt or anything but I went to the dr who ordered a mammogram. Apparently the lump I found was just tissue changes BUT the right breast has a small lump deep in the tissue that you cannot even feel yet. Another mammogram and two ultrasounds later, it was recommended I have a biopsy. I did that about two weeks ago. The results were not malignant but I have atypical hyperplasia (growth of abnormal of cells basically) in the duct of my right breast. Although there is no proof that they will evolve into cancer cells, it was recommended I have a lumpectomy.

One of the drs (who is also our medical director) that makes rounds at the LTC center where I work happened to be present when I got the call from the dr with my lab with my results. We discussed how many women are having un-necessary lumpectomies because of miniscule areas in the breast tissue that a few years ago we would not even be able to detect. Seems that if you have "anything" abnormal, they recommend removing it "just in case" but the final decision is of course up to the patient.

I am high risk since I have 3 aunts who have breast cancer (one passed away, two living) from mom's side and there are two uncles with cancer (one passed, one living) also from mom's side. Of the 7 children, 5 have or had cancer as did a child of one of them (5 years younger than me, also now passed). I am 42. No way am I taking the chance of these cells continuing to grow and possibly become cancer cells even though there is no proof that they will. I say "get them out".

So, Oct. 4th is my surgery. I return from vacation on Sept. 30th and rather than go back to work for one day then be off for two, I am taking 3 additional vacation days and just extending my time off until after the surgery.

PLEASE schedule an appoinment even if you do not feel anything esp. if you are high risk. I did not even feel this area in the right breast and they are going to use a guide wire to mark the area so when I go to surgery they will be able to locate it for removal along with surrounding tissue.

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: October is.....

New postby HeyJudee on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:17 am

Kathy...so sorry about your situation. But definitely fortunate that the lump has been detected and will be removed. So far only one aunt on my mother's side has had breast cancer which resulted in a double mastectomy. This was a few of years ago when she was 70. She is doing great now. Where I live there is a screening program for breast cancer which I am a part of...and so is my sister. Every second year we get a letter reminding us when it is time for our mammogram, and allows me to schedule an appointment at a hospital in my area. The results are released to the program & the program is open to all women between 50 and 69. I just had my mammogram in August so won't be scheduled to have another for a couple of years.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby lendube on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:14 am

I'm sure you'll said through it, Kathy. Good luck.

I'm with Kaiser and they recommend a mammogram once per year, high risk or not. I've been doing it for years now and luckily I have no one one either side of the family with breast cancer histories. We're lucky.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:01 am

I just had my annual mammogram ... got a call back to come for further diagnostic testing ... had the ultrasound & all is okay. I just have very dense breast tissue & some stopped up milk glands. At least, that's what they tell me. At one center back in 2001, I had received what I had perceived as ill treatment & refused to have any mammograms for about 5 yrs. Yes, I was rebellious. Then my doctor & a friend persuaded me that I should have them especially since my paternal grandmother had died of breast cancer back in 1939. So now, I go on a regular basis back to the first center that I went to in 2001. I always seem to get a call to come back for further testing although one center would just do it all in one visit. Too bad, my insurance doesn't cover them anymore. I go thru all of the diagnostic stuff & ultrasound every year only to be told it is very dense breast tissue & stopped up milk glands. Because I know this, I feel it is a waste of my time but I do it anyway. A dear friend went in for a routine mammogram about 2 yrs ago & cancer was found even with no history in her family. Fortunately, it was at stage 1. They did the lumpectomy & additional radiation treatments. So far, she is fine. I will pray for you, Kathy, as you go thru this. It can be a scary thought. (((HUGS)))
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Kathy,
I'm with you girl friend. If they ever find anything suspicious inside me, it will come out.. I don't believe in leaving anything like that to chance. One of my very early mammagrams caused a teckie to get fired at a local hospital here. She read as suspicious a spot on oone of my breasts. The radiologist told her it was definitely a cyst and would go away. She sent me the card to come in for an ultrasound anyway. The cyst was even smaller that day and almost gone. The Dr. made sure she lost her job, because she was scaring patients when it was totally unnecessary. That is what he told her and the hospital board and he also told me that when he first apologized to me at the ultrasound. He had several relatives with breast cancer, and he was very careful with the diagnoses he was involved in. But he always cared about the patient's feelings. And they say Teckie Doctors do not have a good bedside manner. His was top notch.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby bridesmom on Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Am thinking about you. My mom and her sister both had breast cancer, the sister died from it. I get my mammograms faithfully, and try to remember to self test, but now that I don't have monthly periods I keep forgetting. I see too many women coming in for ultrasounds, with huge lumps that they thought would just go away and its full blown breast ca. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 am

Laura,

Suggestion to you and others: set your calender events on your cell phone. My phone is 3 years old and I have a calendar that I can enter things into. I can set notifications of daily, monthly, annual, etc. All my appointments get entered usually with an alert of 48 hours before the appt. just in case I forget. I also have a monthly reminder for the dogs' heartworm medicine. When I took Chantix twice a day I set it for 8am and 8pm for 30 days so I would take it consistently until I remembered on my own.

It may be silly but we get so busy and caught up with events in our daily lives that we often forget routine important things and I often forget to even look at the reg. calendar on the fridge but if I get an audio alert of something I entered, then I am sure to be able to attend the event, send a card/flowers, give or take medicine and so on.

Thank you all for the thoughts, I will let you know after vacation how it goes and what the results are.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby DorothyL on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:42 am

Good luck Kathy. I hope things go well.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 am

I go every year in DD #2 birth month. No problems. DH side of the family has a lot of cancer, including breast in all his aunts and Mom. DD 1 & 2 have been getting mammos since they were 35 and doing self exams. #2 has had to go back for ultra sounds twice and gets mammos twice a yr now. I worry but she is pretty up beat about it all, follows her docs instructions and does a lot of research and asks lots of questions.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Had a blast on vacation and returned late last Friday.

My surgery was today, been home a few hours. Not sore yet but still quite loopy from the anesthetic and pain pill they gave me before I left. Pathology report should be back no later than Friday.

Kathy
kjh9835

Next

Return to Health and Wellness