Does anyone out there exercise?

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Does anyone out there exercise?

New postby susandf on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:04 am

I admit it. I exercise.

Almost every day...with weights - and push-ups and sweating and miles.....and I am well over 50.

Most of the time, though, I keep that information to myself because it seems exercise has developed a negative connotation, especially among women of my age group.

Is there anyone else out there exercising on a regular basis that doesn't want to hide it anymore?

What is your favorite activity? Outdoors? Indoors?
Do you exercise alone or in a group or with a friend? spouse?
How long? How often?
What prompted you to start/continue?
What is the best part of exercising for you? the worst part?
If you had your choice would you sew or exercise?

Thanks...
The Destashification Project at: http://destashification.com/
susandf

Re: Does anyone out there exercise?

New postby bridesmom on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:10 am

I would love to exercise but I just can't get my butt in gear. I should too, with rheumatoid arthritis. I'd love to get DH moving too as he needs to loose quite a bit of weight. I used to be very good at it, regularly, but my work shifts switched and I couldn't go with my friend anymore. I have lots of excuses, none which are really plausible. I really wish I could get at it. Good for you Susan for keeping it up.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Magot on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:07 am

I prance to a low impact fitness DVD ( including weights), three times this week - went for a 20 min fast walk today. When I get back to school I want to try and keep the walking up in my lunch hour - sheesh. But a lot of my day is spent walking carrying things so I do not have a sedentary job. During term time I have a lot less time to exercise so I need to keep it up.

During the hols Tony has gone out for a run and I sweat alone at home. I don't have time/money to go to a class. I used to go to step and step aerobics before we took a cut in wages when he changed jobs and i was less busy. I want to keep fit, my Mum had osteoporosis so the best way to keep that at bay is load bearing exercise.

I think the best bit is the endorphin rush and knowing you are getting fitter as you do the reps. I track my exercise and food on Sparkpeople.com

If I don't get it done first thing - it ain't happening that day!
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:19 am

I didn't until July of this year after spending nearly a month in pain and going to 3 different doctors 6 times plus a convenient care visit. My left sacral joint was inflammed and I nearly could not walk or bend over.

Two MRI's and pelvic xrays along with finally! meds from a pain clinic.

Anyway I now walk 3 miles a day. Sometimes I don't get it all in but at least I try. I either walk outside morning/evening along the highway (live in country) or on the treadmill (which is old but was free and it works). I also have physical therapy exercises that I am "supposed" to be doing but just can't get motivated to do them faithfully.

I do feel better. It took about a week of walking short distances and gradually working up the distance to make a difference. Now I feel worse if I don't get my walking done.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby DorothyL on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:41 am

I get on my Gazelle Edge Elliptical Trainer for about 45 minutes for two out of every three mornings. That makes every third morning a holiday. I do it very early in the morning -- before Wally and Lucy even get out of bed.
I don't especially like it but I do feel better when I stay on schedule.
I have discovered that I can read off my laptop Nook while I work out and it goes faster than when I watch TV or movies. Just one more reason I love that Nook!!
Some books really get me moving!!

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby sewingmom on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:55 am

I exercise some but not faithfully. I am an on again off again fitness fiend. My closest friend owns a curves and I work their doing PR and get free workouts when I can motivate myself. Problem is that is 40 miles away and will close at the end of December. I do have access to workout equipment where I work but must use it just before begin my shift. That is my intention when I get off sick leave.

At this Curves there is a lady in her 70s that has a the figure of a slim 23 yr old. She says she has exercised some all her life, if not at a gym then at home. There is also the mother of the owner. She is almost 83yrs old and mildly plump. She walks with pep in her step and has great balance. She is the one that got the owner interested in working out at Curves and they both work out faithfully. They even do Zumba.
Girls keep it up. It is the answer to a healthy future
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 am

I'm sorry to say that I'm one who doesn't exercise very often. The most that I can muster is to walk my puppy, Max, about 300 ft from my front door & back about 3 times a week. Occasionally, I'll drive over to our church where we have a fitness room with all sorts of equipment & walk on the treadmill for about 5 minutes before I get winded. Also, I have to have someone with me when I'm in the fitness room & I don't know of anyone who would do it. Hubby & daughter are at work during the day. Before my daughter was born, I played tennis, went swimming on a regular basis at the YMCA & kept active. However with multiple surgeries, stress from the job, parenthood, & a failing heart I stopped exercising on a regular basis. Besides, I would rather sew than exercise any day of the week.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:36 am

I have walked on our treadmill at home for a year now, lost 22-24 lbs (you know how that can fluctuate!! :) :) ;)
I walk for an hour... at a speed of 3.5- 3.8 and an incline of 6.0-7.0!!!
I either listen to music on my mp3 player or read.. I can do that pretty good walking fast!! :D :D
I just started 2 days ago exercising with a thing on our tv.. comcast has on demand and there are a lot of free things you can watch... tv show..etc.. and they had a fitness one so I looked at it and there is one for 40 min. using weights and they have 3 heavy ladies on there and it is not high impact which is good for me as I have back issues, so I will see how I do with that, I had sore thigh muscles yesterday after doing it, but it was things I was not used to so.. that will happen!!! :D :D
My DH and DS are impressed with me keeping to my walking on the treadmill for so long!! I even did it when we were on vacation at Walt Disney in Jan!! talk about dedication!! :D :D :D ( at a place you walk so much in!!)
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby Bama on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:41 am

I try to walk 2 miles every day, and have started back doing some yoga on most days. I feel so much better when I do.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby temom on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:26 am

For about 2 years, I have been walking with a friend twice a week, if weather and schedules allowed. However, this spring, I really couldn't take the heat and humidity combo (it was hot!), so we joined a gym that is only $10 a month. We go 3 X a week if schedules allow. We had a hard time starting, as we were in worse shape than we would admit to. So we do 12 minutes on the bikes, 6 minutes on the elipticals, and 12 minutes on the tread mill. We increase the difficulty as we are able to, so I'm definately encouraged in that! Then we do one or 2 sets on the assisted chin up/push up rig.
This next week we are going to try going to 5 days a week, monday through friday. I figure it isn't too much since we aren't doing that much. I also need to get cleared by the chiropractor to start the weight thingy machines ( a no-no since the car accident) I've lost 5 pounds so far, and have gone down one pants size.
I really like going to the gym, as it is much easier exercising in air conditioning! Also, I like the philosophy. Plastered everywhere are signs that say "No judgement zone!" The staff greet me by name when I check in and wish me a good day when I leave.
Theresa
temom

Next

Return to Health and Wellness