Good News

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Re: Good News

New postby bridesmom on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm definitely behind you in that! Pain killers and alcohol together are dangerous! I know when you have a head strong child, dealing with them can be difficult, will keep you in prayer and hope that she realizes she's playing with fire mixing the two. Keep at her Marty!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby carman on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:37 pm

have they not tried prescription strength of something for the migraines? anything over the counter for migraines does not even begin to do anything for my migraines, i am now on Axert and LOVE it lol, if i take one as i know its coming on it works reasonably quick, if i am a martyr and think i can handle it i have to take 2 in 2 hours. package says 1 every 24 hours but as last resort take the extra 2 hours later. when i do that my husband says i turn loopy even the next day lol, but at least that horrible pain is gone :brick: i know it can take several tries to find what works on migraines, everyone is different.

carman
carman

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:47 pm

She has a prescription for Max-alt for migraines but still takes the Excedrin migraine. Max-alt is for when the pain is the worst. I do wish that she would listen to me as it would make life so much easier for all of us. I will keep after her but I walk a fine line when I do. She keeps reminding me that is 23 & it is her life & her choice. Hubby supports her in this so I'm outnumbered but I won't give up trying.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby missfleecy on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Unfortunately, it sounds like your daughter and husband believe in this philosophy:

There are t-shirts available with the slogan, too.

Anyway, here is some more information on the interaction of alcohol and Excedrin Migraine, from drugs.com. They call it a "Major Drug Interaction."

~ Miss Fleecy :shame:
missfleecy

New postby sewingmom on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Marty, My instructions for Maxalt say to take at the first sign of a migrain. That is the best chance of knocking it out before it gets to bad. I never get a bad one as long as I do this. It's not a narcotic so it is ok to use it this way. I have only on one occasion had to take a second one and the Symptoms are usually gon in an hour. With only a little sluggish feeling left.
sewingmom

New postby sewingmom on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Marty, My instructions for Maxalt say to take at the first sign of a migrain. That is the best chance of knocking it out before it gets to bad. I never get a bad one as long as I do this. It's not a narcotic so it is ok to use it this way. I have only on one occasion had to take a second one and the Symptoms are usually gon in an hour. With only a little sluggish feeling left .
Here is a quoit from the below web site.
http://www.migraines.org/treatment/promaxlt.htm
"Migraine sufferers now have a new way to treat their migraine headache the moment it strikes. MAXALT® (rizatriptan benzoate), the newest abortive treatment of migraine with or without aura in adults. "
sewingmom

New postby carman on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 am

why does she not take it on the onset of an migraine? the worst thing to do is let it linger so all it does is get worse, trust me i can me a martyr too and think i can handle it, but NOT, taking the pill is not a sign of weakness, it creates sanity lol

carman
carman

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Carman, I honestly do not know. Most of her migraines start while she is at work or at school & I hear about them when she gets home in the evening. Max-alt knocks her out so it's one of those last resort meds. She never takes all of her meds as prescribed except her birth control pills to keep her menses in check.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Sancin on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:24 am

Sewingmom, as someone who has suffered from migraines for 60 years I think I have read everything written. http://www.migraines.org/treatment/promaxlt.htm - a truly excellent site and Marty you should get your daughter to read it as should you as it is very factual, even if it is promoting the medication. I was not familiar with Maxalt, as I have a ergot preparation that works relatively well for me. As Carmen notes Maxalt (and ergot) are not pain killers, they are medications taken to abort a migraine and thus somewhat useless to take once a migraine is full force when one does need an analgesic or use alternate pain control activities. Yes, it will make one a little spacey but a migraine can lay one out flat for an indefinite time, providing, of course, that it is in fact a migraine and not simply a severe headache. AND, the chemicals in the Maxalt are more dangerous than excedrin when taken with alcohol.

I can understand, your daughter Marty because, believe it or not I do remember being 23 (currently 70). I also remember ignoring/denying the prodromal (before pain) symptoms as I thought my friends would think I was neurotic. Further when I did recognize I was getting one I would rush around trying to get as much done, and thus stress myself, before the headache stopped me from doing anything at all. However, once I finally acknowledged that I had to take more control of my headaches and admit it was a migraine my headaches became less severe, tho unfortunately not less often, and I was able to pace myself. One good thing is that migraines in women tend to become less after menopause, or else start then. I did have rare migraines after menopause, but unfortunately when I developed fibromyalgia they returned though not as frequent. It takes awhile and consciousness to recognize one's triggers and adjust one's life. It can be done. As far as drinking goes, I cannot understand how your daughter can drink with a headache. It is usually a very big turnoff when experiencing a migraine :shock:

On a possible positive side? I once dated a man who was impressed when I cancelled a date d/t a headache. He was under the impression that only very intelligent people got migraines. Too bad the promax misconception site was not available to him ;)

I am a type A personality and when I was younger and able to take on things flat out, I used to tell myself that having a migraine was God's way to tell me to slow down. :o

BTW - a drink or 2 several times a week is not really dangerous unless taken when there are medications in one's system at that time or when not is not undertaking dangerous activities, like driving after drinking or having unsafe sex.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

Previous

Return to Health and Wellness