You must be 51 or over to participate. ;)

Support and discussion for health related issues.

Your period: Are you 51 or over

and still going strong and regular.
25%
and a bit wobbly and winding down.
12%
and "stick me with a fork, I'm done".
62%

Total votes : 24

Re: You must be 51 or over to participate. ;)

New postby Here_Fishey on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:45 am

Mom of Six wrote:I found this site while looking for something else. Anyone want to try it!

http://tipnut.com/free-pattern-for-wash ... rual-pads/

Ok, as I said before, EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

New postby Upholsteress on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:03 pm

I don't understand what the issue is... Cleaning?? Same as cloth diapers i would imagine. I used cloth diapers with my kids - you rinse the "dirty" ones out in the toilet and drop into a diaper pail with lid (full of water with non chlorine bleach)... they soak till you're ready to run through the washer. I always emptied the bucket into the washer water and all - ran a pre-wash cycle -- then a regular cycle with hot water and more non-chlorine bleach. VERY seldom was there any stains.

I was raised on a farm... also worked the kill floor one summer in Florida so... guess its all in what you get used to.
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby treehugger on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:53 pm

Mom of Six wrote:I found this site while looking for something else. Anyone want to try it!

http://tipnut.com/free-pattern-for-wash ... rual-pads/

Actually, I thought it was gross at first. Then I thought about it some more, and still thought it was gross, but made good sense environmentally (and financially). Then I saw some cloth pads in the grocery store and decided to buy one just to see what it was made of. I took it apart and did some more research on the internet. I saw that some women said that they had problems with irritation and allergies to the commercial throw-away products, but they don't with the cloth ones. Also, I had cancelled my garbage service and the only pick-up I retained was recycling. (So I need to minimize my non-recyclable, non-compostable household trash because that has to be stored up until I have enough to take to the garbage facility--Bathroom trash is really not something to store up for any length of time.) Well, I decided I'd give it a try.

Using a pattern based somewhat on what Mom of Six provided and partially on the store-bought cloth pad, I sewed together some cotton flannel and some terry cloth and made a set of 7 pads. I gave them a try when I didn't need to be leaving the house much. I was pleasantly surprised. They were far more comfortable than the throw aways because I didn't get the usual irritation. I didn't have any problems with leaking. I tried some different versions of cloth pad patterns since and have come up with a design that seems to work well. The clean-up wasn't near as bad as I'd imagined it would be. However, I haven't quite figured out the best arrangement for efficiently cleaning them without running a separate load, but I generally manage to time my use for those when I need to do a load of laundry anyway.

Pros:
*Cheap
*Reuseable
*Soft, comfortable
*Handcrafted (although I can't really share my pride and pictures without embarassment) :oops:
*Environmentally friendly
* no bathroom trash
* saves trips to store to buy pads

Cons:
* not so easy to do when traveling long-distance or away from home for more than a day
* can't talk about it with friends because they'll think I'm nuts or gross or both
* cleanup is a little more logistically challenging than throw-aways, of course
treehugger

New postby lendube on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi and welcome to this board. Thanks for your very thoughtful reply. I am still in no way tempted to go cloth but I appreciate and have respect for those that do. You don't seem gross or crazy to me (at least not yet anyway......... ;) ) Just kidding! As for your concern about not having enough pads to make a respectable load why not just do what we used to do with cloth diapers. Rinse real well in the toilet then put in a bucket or pail with some Oxyclean and toss in with any similar load within a couple of days. (Didn't have Oxyclean then but it would be perfect for this).

I'm assuming you sew or you wouldn't be here. Why don't you introduce yourself proper like on that thread? Hope to see you around. We could benefit from a good treehugger around here! Bet you know tons about the newer "green" fabrics, etc.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Bama on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:37 am

treehugger,
I wanted to say hi and welcome you to the boards too. Thanks for pointing out the pros and cons of cloth pads. I don't think it's much different than washing cloth diapers, but of course it's not for everyone.
I hope you'll keep visiting with us and tell us more about your sewing interests. :)
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby treehugger on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for the welcome and the cleaning advice.

By the way, if anyone might be interested in the reusable pads, I can share my design recommendations and pictures of a new and unused one I've made in a new post.
treehugger

New postby somerset4 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 am

I got lucky- really lucky.

I had about two bouts of hot flashes, two weeks each. They were very subtle, but very frequent. I'd even wake up about thirty seconds before I'd have one at night.

That's been it. Told the OB_GYN the periods were getting further and further apart, and he decided to do a blood test in March. I'm done, he says.

Sadly the weight gain is going to be harder to battle. I don't miss the PMS, though, and neither do my friends and family.

I did make a few reusable pads, but found it easier to just designate a stack of washcloths to the cause. Folded into thirds or quarters one way, they stayed in place just fine, and were more comfy to me than the store bought products. I only used them toward the last couple years, and when I wasn't going out. For the last five years or so, I had figured every purchase of feminine products may have been my last.
somerset4

New postby Mom of Six on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:13 am

I thought I was going to fimally skip a month. No such luck! just a little late.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby DorothyL on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:54 am

Barb, after six kids I would think skipping a month would be the last thing you would want!!
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Mom of Six on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:20 am

Only if it lasts forever. Tubes were tied after #6 since I had 4 C sections & didn't want to go through it again. I actually always felt my healthiest when Pregnant . I think they may be spreading out & I have had some hot flashes lately.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Wellness