Starbucks Gingerbread

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Re: Starbucks Gingerbread

New postby Bama on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:41 pm

I'm saving this recipe to try for Christmas Eve. My nephew LOVES gingerbread. I wonder if anyone would know the difference if I used the canned cream cheese flavored frosting? :think: I use it on my cinnamon rolls and everyone thinks I made it.
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:37 pm

Ok, I discovered some cream cheese in the fridge (well, it's the "soft" cream cheese meant for spreading on bagels), so I decided to go ahead and try this yesterday. It's very yummy! Watch out that the ingredients are not in the order you add them in the list -- I had to double check a couple times to make sure I didn't forget something, as I'm prone to doing that! :doh: I did goof on one thing -- for the icing, I cut the cream cheese in half, but I forgot to cut the other ingredients except the powdered sugar. So - my icing is probably a bit more strongly flavored than it should be. But it's still good -- tastes kind of like a creamsicle. I did keep the frosting separate and we've been frosting each individual piece, since I didn't want to refrigerate the whole loaf. My frosting is a bit goopy, too, Lennie. I think if I did it over again I would just add powdered sugar until it was the right consistency. I think it might take more than the recipe calls for.

Bama, I'm sure just about any frosting would be fine! The orange flavor is nice, but plain cream cheese flavored frosting is yummy and I think would go well. I don't think anyone would notice or care that it came from a can.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby lendube on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:21 pm

I think I'll just use the canned cream cheese icing next time. My icing is still goopy and leaves a funny aftertaste. I'm thinking regular cream cheese would be better. I just had a piece. It was one of those weird "un-dinners". Dh is sick with a cold and had some leftover chicken soup. I'd had it for lunch. I wasn't too hungry for dinner so I had carrots w/ ranch dressing to dip them in and a piece of the gingerbread. :roll:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Domestic Goddess on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:03 am

It's a grim, dull, dark, miserable, wet day of the sort where I just don't want to go out (it's not cold though - a very mild 9 degrees) so I thought it's time to give those lovely measuring cups and spoons that I bought in America some exercise - they've not seen the light of day for months :P The gingerbread is wonderful (I will confess to sneaking a teeny piece) but I think I need to get the hang of "frosting"! :oops: Is it supposed to be so runny? I kept trying to thicken it up and ended up using best part of 500g of icing sugar (I think that would be "powdered sugar" the other side of the Atlantic). Anyway, I slopped it on and stuck the whole thing in the fridge. We'll have it after a traditional Sunday roast this evening. Thanks for posting the recipe :applause:
Life is for living, loving and laughing - and not necessarily in that order
Mum to a teenage daughter, is that why my hair is turning silver?
Domestic Goddess

Location: Bolton, Lancashire - United Kingdom during the week, England at weekends

New postby lendube on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:10 am

Mine was very goopy. That's why I'm using the prepared type next time. The bread stays moist for days though.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Domestic Goddess on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks Lennie. I did look in our giant supermarket today for readymade, but couldn't find any - even in our biggest stores we don't seem to have the range of baking stuff you have in the US. Now I know it's supposed to be like that I'm happy! I was thinking of making one of these to take to work for my staff (they do like a home baked cake, their favourites are blueberry muffins using a Pillsbury recipe) but I'll have to use a different topping - maybe just ordinary icing - otherwise it will end up all over the car!
Life is for living, loving and laughing - and not necessarily in that order
Mum to a teenage daughter, is that why my hair is turning silver?
Domestic Goddess

Location: Bolton, Lancashire - United Kingdom during the week, England at weekends

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:39 pm

I've made three loaves now and each one of them sunk in the middle. Then I checked my baking soda and baking powder expiry dates :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Would you believe they both expired almost 3 years ago!! So, I bet the next batch I make will be a bit better!! I also think it sinks more because it is so moist, and if you cook it longer, it may not sink as much, but would also be drier.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Previous

Return to Recipes