Christmas cakes

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Christmas cakes

New postby searose on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14 pm

i am getting ready to make my Christmas cakes. Does anyone else bother with them any more . I bake them more as homage to my late mother and i use her recipe. Allthe fruit is soaked in rum and brandy so they keep for a long time. They seem to be one of those things that you REALLY LIKE or YOU REALLY HATE. LYNNE
searose

Re: Christmas cakes

New postby vickki on Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:53 pm

When we were kids we always knew Christmas was near when mom and my grandmother started getting the fruit ready for the Christmas cakes.....I am not a baker so I always buy them from someone....This year I ordered from a 78 years old lady..
vickki

New postby Magot on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:10 am

It is touch and go if I make or buy one - to be honest we are not a big fruit cake family - so I tend to make a chocloate roulade into a yule log. or if I buy one it is a weeny plain one and I ice it myself.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby Brenisback on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:15 am

I love Christmas Cake!!! buy the Shriners Christmas Cake every year for my mom and I...they are so good...and it is for a very good cause. :)
Brenda

People come into your life ...for a Reason a Season or a Lifetime.
Brenisback

New postby ddreev on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:31 am

My younger son and I love fruit cake. The rest of the family thinks we are crazy. We like the white fruit cake the best. The Grandma's Fruit cake brand has a white batter. I would love to have a good recipe for white fruit cake. I made one a number of years ago and we were called out of town because of a family illness at Christmas time so it was forgotten in the garage refrigerator. I had wrapped it in brandy soaked rags and sealed it before putting it in the frig. We found it at the end of Jan.. I think the cherries were about 180 proof :o for some reason they seemed to absorb more of the brandy. My son who was underage at the time laughed and asked me if it was legal for him to eat it.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby Bama on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:50 pm

I've never liked fruit cake, but my mother always makes an orange candy slice cake at Christmas that's really good. She also makes fruit cake cookies.
I usually stick with making cookies and candies and sometimes pies. I do usually make a five flavor pound cake around Christmas time. It's too fattening to make more than once a year. :P
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby DorothyL on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:07 am

My husband makes his grandmother's recipe Jumbo Cookies for Xmas and they are awful. I think the recipe got lost when we moved last year.
DorothyL

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:10 am

DorothyL wrote:I think the recipe got lost when we moved last year.

Now Dorothy...was that by accident????? :P
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Brenisback on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:16 am

HeyJudee wrote:
DorothyL wrote:I think the recipe got lost when we moved last year.

Now Dorothy...was that by accident????? :P

That's kind of a nice way of dealing with it Dorothy.... :lol:
Brenda

People come into your life ...for a Reason a Season or a Lifetime.
Brenisback

New postby J H on Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:30 pm

Hello Everyone

Just come across this thread - I'm always late......... :lol:

Over here in North Yorkshire a good home made Christmas cake should be eaten with a slice of Wensleydale cheese - can't be bettered (or should that be battered?). But then a good home made Christmas cake will probably be three sheets to the wind anyway - once made it should be 'fed' every week with a (large) splosh of brandy / whisky / sherry. By the time Christmas has arrived, the cake is quite moist and delicious but don't eat too much or you won't be able to drive. :party3:

Jill
Jill

When not dressed in 17th century clothes..... I play with motorhomes........ and other things
J H

Next

Return to Recipes