Christmas cakes

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Re: Christmas cakes

New postby lendube on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi Jill and welcome! Your avatar says it all for this time of year.

Okay, one piece about 1/8" thick is about all I can eat then I've had enough for the year. Never heard it called Christmas Cake before. I'm soooooo out of the loop......... :think:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Upholsteress on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:04 pm

Jill's description of "Christmas cake" certainly beats anything I have ever seen, tasted or heard of for "fruitcake"...
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby searose on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:41 pm

mine have been sitting in an alcoholic haze of rum brandy and whisky since early November. They should be just right at Christmas. Very thin slices though. lynne
searose

New postby searose on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:44 pm

i used to do the traditional marzipan and royal icing on the cakes, as my mum used to. but most people do not eat marzipan anymore so i top them with almonds like a Dundee cake. lynne
searose

New postby PaulineG on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:50 pm

Easiest Christmas cake ever (and fairly healthy too).

3 cups of Self Raising flour (that's flour with the raising agent already included - I think you guys call it something else)
3 cups of fruit juice (the original recipe says orange juice but I quite like pineapple)
1 kilo (about 4 cups tightly packed) dried fruit

Soak fruit in juice overnight. Mix with flour and bake in shallow dish (like a lasagne dish) for about forty minutes at about 180C. Sometimes the edges cook a bit quicker than the centre so if that happens I put foil around the corners for the last 10 minutes.

No fat, no processed sugar etc. and low in points if you're doing the weight loss thing. Stays really moist for a few days and freezes well. You could reduce the juice and top it up with something with a little more zing if that appeals. It sounds like it does for quite a few of you.
Pauline
PaulineG

Previous

Return to Recipes