Baking with Splenda

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Baking with Splenda

New postby Pudge99 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:10 am

As I have mentioned in another post my inlaws are coming for Thanksgiving. My FIL is diabetic so I would like to have some dessert options for him.
I remember somone on here saying that they bake with Splenda or other artificial sweeteners. I was just wondering would it work in pumkin pie? I am gonna try a few cookie recipies before then and if they work I will freeze them but I don't really wan't to try the pie unless I know it will work.

Thanks!
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

Re: Baking with Splenda

New postby momquilts on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:25 am

Try going to the Splenda website to see if they give directions for pies.
momquilts

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:10 am

I would think for a pie it would work. I haven't used it, but I've heard for things like cookies, Splenda can alter the texture since sugar contributes texture as well as sweetness. For a pie, though, I don't think the sugar contributes much to the texture. I probably wouldn't put splenda in the crust (my basic crust recipe doesn't call for any sugar anyway). When I google "splenda pumpkin pie" I get lots of recipes, so the results must not be too bad. :) Let us know how it ends up working!
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby temom on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:55 am

One year I made a pie with sugar and a pie with splenda. The splenda measures the same as sugar, so you don't need to adjust that at all. The sweetness is the same, but it seemed that the splenda pie needed a bit more of the pumpkin pie spices.

I can't use splenda anymore as I get muscle aches anytime I use it. Before this happened I was a huge splenda fan.
Theresa
temom

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Gina, my DMIL was diabetic and she loved sweet potato pie, we all do. I would bake them in the oven til soft then mash and if they were very sweet they didn't need sugar. All I would add was 2 eggs, 2 cups of the potato, 1/2 tsp salt, 1tsp plus a little extra cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves and a can of evaporated milk, then bake like a pumkin pie. When I baked the potatoes I always sprayed them with "pam", it seemed to make them moister/sweeter. One year the potatoes weren't very sweet and all it took was 1/4 cup of sugar to sweeten them up. That year DMIL only had a small piece instead of her usual. I've never cooked with Splenda or any of the other artifical sweeteners so can't help you with that.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Gina,
I just accessed the Splenda Website.. Here is the direct link for what they say about Baking with Splenda..
http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id=sp ... g/main.inc
Check it out.. Sounds like you will not have any problems..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Pudge99 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:27 am

Thanks for the link to the Splenda site! When I googled none of my hits took me there. Sounds as though I should be OK using the Splenda in the pie. Maybe I should make one of each just in case it turns out horrible.
I found a recipe for coconut macaroons using Splenda. Gonna try those out if I have time today. Judging by the dryness of my skin the humidity is probably low enough.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby jwright on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:02 pm

I've always heard that Spenda Substitutes evenly for sugar. It tends to work that way from what I remember.

I do know from experience that you need to let EVERYONE know that there is Spenda in things because not everyone reacts the same way. I once made splenda cookies for my office--put a sign up and everything. One guy ate 6 large cookies and had to go home "sick" that day. I warned him!!
jwright

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:27 pm

Hmm..I think he would have been just as sick (or more) eating 6 large cookies with sugar in them. :lol: I highly doubt it was the splenda in that case. ;)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 pm

Theresa I am glad you said you have a reaction to Splenda. I have never tried it. I get migranes from other artificial sweeteners & everyone tells me Splenda is different, try it! I just don't think it is worth the risk. I drank some punch at school once I didn't know they used diet soda in it until I took a drink. 1 swallow sent me to me purse for meds.
Like Jen said please mark things that have artificial sweeteners. They aren't as obvious as nuts & other allery triggers.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

Next

Return to Recipes