Dutch Baby aka Puffy Pancake

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Dutch Baby aka Puffy Pancake

New postby lendube on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:48 am

Picture of Dutch Baby/Puffy Pancake Looks just like the top one. I've been making a version of this pancake for the last 9 years since we got the recipe on our trip to Alaska in 2003 from dh's brother who lives there. A couple of months ago I saw this version in the "American Profile" magazine that comes with our San Diego newspaper. You might get it too. Tried this recipe this morning and was very pleased. It's very, very similar to the recipe I've been using but we like this one better. It's great for everyday but also for fancy w/guests. I think it would be perfect for B & B's. Practice it once first to get the time down. I need to bake mine about 21-22 minutes as opposed to the 12-15 but that's usually the case with our altitude.

Dutch Baby aka Puffy Pancake - Serves 4 (but that's only with additional fruit or whatever. Dh ate 2/3 and me 1/3 of it with nothing else.)

The pancake rises dramatically in the oven then deflates as soon as you remove it. Be sure and watch the last few minutes and take it out only when the middle also rises. It's a very beautiful dish.

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon butter, softened
Pinch nutmeg
Lemon wedges (or juice)
Powdered sugar
Fresh berries (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10 inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat, tilting to coat bottom and sides of pan.
3. Whisk together milk, flour, sugar, eggs, softened butter and nutmeg in bowl. Pour into skillet. Cook 1 minute.
4. Place pan in oven and bake 12-15 minutes until puffed and golden. Squeeze lemon over top and sprinkle with powdered sugar and fresh berries. Cut pancake in pan and serve with a spatula. Serve immediately.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Dutch Baby aka Puffy Pancake

New postby Magot on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Basically a sweet Yorkshire pudding. Make it without the sugar and nutmeg and serve with roast beef and gravy.mmmmmm
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby Jeke on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks for the recipe, Lennie. I have heard fo these but never tried them. Sunday morning breakfast coming up.
Jay
Jeke

New postby lendube on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Jan, read your post and the light bulb went off ----------that's it exactly! Hadn't occurred to me but then again I've only had Y.P. twice I think.

And Jay, it's fine with syrup if you prefer that to the lemon and powdered sugar. I like it both ways. Let me know if you do try it. It's so beautiful when it poofs.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Return to Recipes