Hey Barb, caramel popcorn?

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Hey Barb, caramel popcorn?

New postby lendube on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:01 pm

I've seen you mention that you make it. How about sharing the recipe? We were given some for Xmas and it's quite 4th rate. I bet yours is better........... :D ;)
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Hey Barb, caramel popcorn?

New postby Mom of Six on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:14 pm

Enjoy! When I am dirtying dishes for this I will make 3 or 4 batches so I can clean up the mess once.

Caramel Corn
Pop 2 poppers of popcorn (I use air popped) I have a very big Stainless steel bowl & that is about 3/4 full for 1 batch
2 sticks margarine or butter
2 cups brown sugar (packed)
½ cup light corn syrup
Bring to boil in Lg. pan boil for 5 min.(Trick is only 5 min any longer it starts to burn, don't stir too much)
Remove from heat
Add
1 Tablespoon of Butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir in 1 teaspoon baking soda, Make sure you use a big enough pan It will triple or quadruple in size when you stir this in.

Add to popcorn. Stir well to coat.
Bake in Lg. cake pan or 2 smaller pans. ( I use a Wilton full sheet cake pan or my big roaster pan)
20-25 min @ 225˚ sometimes I have to stir it & put it back for 5 min if the bottom is too Goey.
Let cool & then stir/break it apart & store in airtight container.
I have found this doesn't turn out well when it is hot & humid. I usually only make it from Oct -March.

Remove from pans to cool. Store in airtight container.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby lendube on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Wow! Couldn't have gotten it faster! I'll let you know when I make it. I'm hesitant because I KNOW I won't be able to leave it alone! Don't have a popper but I can make it the old fashioned way. I used to make it centuries ago. I think I put Spanish peanuts in it. Thanks, Barb.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mom of Six on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:29 pm

I sometimes add pecans to it. But that makes it more expensive & when I make it for Christmas I usually make 5 or 6 batches. I am debating making it for New Years Eve. I have a lot of other food but I know people really like it
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Mom of Six wrote:Enjoy! When I am dirtying dishes for this I will make 3 or 4 batches so I can clean up the mess once.

Caramel Corn
Pop 2 poppers of popcorn (I use air popped) I have a very big Stainless steel bowl & that is about 3/4 full for 1 batch
2 sticks margarine or butter
2 cups brown sugar (packed)
½ cup light corn syrup
Bring to boil in Lg. pan boil for 5 min.(Trick is only 5 min any longer it starts to burn, don't stir too much)
Remove from heat
Add
1 Tablespoon of Butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir in 1 teaspoon baking soda, Make sure you use a big enough pan It will triple or quadruple in size when you stir this in.

Add to popcorn. Stir well to coat.
Bake in Lg. cake pan or 2 smaller pans. ( I use a Wilton full sheet cake pan or my big roaster pan)
20-25 min @ 225˚ sometimes I have to stir it & put it back for 5 min if the bottom is too Goey.
Let cool & then stir/break it apart & store in airtight container.
I have found this doesn't turn out well when it is hot & humid. I usually only make it from Oct -March.

Remove from pans to cool. Store in airtight container.

This is like my recipe that I use to make caramel corn. I have used microwave popcorn before with good results. I usually had to pop about 4-6 bags though in order to get enough popcorn to use for caramel corn. Peanuts would be good in it, but dh doesn't like it that way, and since he is the one who usually eats it.. it don't put them in.
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:13 pm

I made a batch for tonight. I debated & almost didn't but me being a traditionalist I had to have it here on New Year's Eve!
Everything is done except taking cheese out of the fridge & arranging it on the platter, & dumping chips in bowls.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

Return to Recipes