Looking for Good Homemade Soup Recipe

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Re: Looking for Good Homemade Soup Recipe

New postby Longblades on Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:08 am

Here's one we like, and it has measurements. After you've made it a few times you don't need to measure but it's nice to have the quantities for the first time you make it.

VEGETABLE CHOWDER

2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 medium onion chopped
½ cup celery, thinly sliced
1 clove Garlic chopped
2 cups turkey broth
1 19 oz can tomatoes, undrained, chopped (540 ml)
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 tsp dried basil
1 19 oz can chick peas, undrained
1 12 oz can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 cup zucchini, sliced

In 5 quart pot heat oil medium heat. Add onion, celery and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, tomatoes, carrots, basil and pepper and simmer, covered, 25 minutes or till carrots are crisp-tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer gently 15 to 20 minutes. Serve in heated bowls. Makes 8 servings, about 260 calories each.

Nancy’s Notes: I follow this recipe loosely, substituting tortellini for the zucchini, which tends to go mushy. I cook the carrots with the onion, celery and garlic. I use frozen corn, more carrots and add the chick peas, corn and tortellini at the same time as all the rest. I use homemade turkey broth. I sprinkle parmesan cheese over top.
Longblades

Re: Looking for Good Homemade Soup Recipe

New postby sewhappyrtr on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:15 pm

I just read the posts about mashed potatoes and flap jacks.. and other words for this.
My mother and father were Slovak.. If any one knows what that is.. my both sides of grandparents came from Czecheslovakia...(now I am not sure what it is called)
and my mother always made "lucksha""(sp) from leftover mashed potatoes.. they were mixed cold with some flour to make a dough, and then rolled out very very very thin, and then fried on the old iron skillet.. and then with a pastry brush melted butter was brushed over them, they were cut in half, and we then spread jelly/jam on them and rolled them up and ate them. I love those..
in fact I have made them for my husband and son a time or two, and my husband doesn't like jelly so he sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on them.
Yumm O as Rachel Ray would say !!! :)
Karen
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

Previous

Return to Recipes