Looking for Good Homemade Soup Recipe

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Re: Looking for Good Homemade Soup Recipe

New postby MakNBuns on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Beef Barley Soup
INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 pounds ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

3 celery ribs, sliced

3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted

1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained

4 medium carrots, sliced

2 cups water

1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted

1/2 cup medium pearl barley

1 bay leaf

SERVINGS 12

DIRECTIONS
In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef, onion and celery over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).

NUTRITIONAL INFO
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 168 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein

Happy Soup

Jackie
MakNBuns

New postby Brenisback on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:04 pm

Thanks Jackie...that sounds good. :)
Brenda

People come into your life ...for a Reason a Season or a Lifetime.
Brenisback

New postby MotherInLaw on Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:38 pm

1 can of Cambell's chicken noodle soup. :lol: :lol: :o :shock: :D :D :roll: :twisted: :evil: :applause: :applause: :think: :whistle: :dance: :dance:
Live today as if tomorrow was the last day of your life
MotherInLaw

New postby Pudge99 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:45 pm

Susie,

I am so glad you posted that. :lol: More often than not Campbell's is who makes my soup.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:47 am

This is the best clam chowder outside of homemade from Maine.
1 can Campbell's Chunky New England Clam Chowder
1 can Snow's New England Clam Chowder
1 can whole milk
1 can of minced (or diced) clams with juice
diced onion, celery, and potato amounts to your liking.
Cook veggies in microwave till tender. Mix all remaining ingredients together in saucepan and heat, add veggies when ready.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby Brenisback on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:24 pm

MotherInLaw wrote:1 can of Cambell's chicken noodle soup. :lol: :lol: :o :shock: :D :D :roll: :twisted: :evil: :applause: :applause: :think: :whistle: :dance: :dance:

Did you forget!! I'm coming to see you in February!!!...you better start running now!!...I'm going to kick your butt for being such a smarty pants LOL
:shame: :shame:
Brenda

Brenisback

New postby Brenisback on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:26 pm

sewingrandma wrote:This is the best clam chowder outside of homemade from Maine.
1 can Campbell's Chunky New England Clam Chowder
1 can Snow's New England Clam Chowder
1 can whole milk
1 can of minced (or diced) clams with juice
diced onion, celery, and potato amounts to your liking.
Cook veggies in microwave till tender. Mix all remaining ingredients together in saucepan and heat, add veggies when ready.

I love clam chowder soup... and that sounds delicious...Thankyou sewingrandma :applause:
Brenda

Brenisback

New postby MotherInLaw on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:43 pm

Gina that's the only soup I get around here besides the one I make from scratch. I don't like Progressive, it's not salty enough the condensed soup has more flavor.

Brenda, What can I say I'm just a smartie pants. I can't help myself. :applause: But you know I love ya. MUAAAAHHHHHH (throwing kisses to ya)
Live today as if tomorrow was the last day of your life
MotherInLaw

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:52 pm

I do not have a recipe, but I do the same thing my Mother always did.. Use leftover beef pot roast and broth for starters... If you don't have any brown some gr. beef and drain fat.. start cooking with some water , onion, celery if you have any, and some salt.. Add canned tomatoes.. (I like the crushed tomatoes) after this has simmered awhile, add any leftover veggies from the fridge or freezer. I usually add one large bag of some kind of mixed veggies (frozen), .. These items to be added always.. Couple or more potatoes, cabbage, ... Mother always said that soup was not soup without cabbage in it.. We just make a big potful and freeze some for later.. My sister has been known to call family members and say, "I feel bad, like a cold's coming on or something. Do you have any soup in your freezer?? " So, around here it does not have to be chicken soup to help you feel better when you are ill.. Just Mother's Soup or a reasonable facsimilie..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:24 am

Libby, my Grandmother used to save the liquids from canned veggies (she did her own canning) freeze it then use it as the liqid base in the soups she used to make. DGM used to tell DM that her sink was the better fed than most people. :doh: I do what you do start with a roast beef and have a meal or two from it then on to the soups and stew with the leftovers. DH makes wonderful gravy so I always have a base to start with if I do start with roast beef. I always bake extra potatoes and this last time forgot some that weren't done so they were way over done by the time I remembered them. :oops: I almost tossed them out but instead left the skin on and cut them up and threw them in the pot. My DM used to just open the fridge and toss in anything that was left over into her stews. She'd even put in mashed potatoes. My DDad used to just shake his head when Mom served soups.
Brockie
sewingrandma

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes