Tabouli

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Tabouli

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:32 pm

I can't remember if I posted this over on SWN before, but I just made this to bring to a picnic -- it's a Mediterranean salad served cold and can be used as a pita filling or a side dish. It is very filling with the garbanzo beans, so I have been known to eat it as a main dish.

Tabouli (sometimes spelled Tabbouleh or other variations)

2 cups bulgur wheat
2 cups boiling water
1 bunch flat leaf parsley (curly will do in a pinch) minced
4 cloves garlic, minced (seems like a lot, but I probably could have used more!)
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 medium cucumber, diced
1/2 medium red onion, diced
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed well
lemon juice
olive oil
freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste

Pour the boiling water over the bulgur and soak for about 30 minutes. Add all ingredients except the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Drizzle with olive oil (I probably use about 1/4 cup but you can use more or less) and add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well and chill for about 2 hours. Enjoy!

This makes a LOT of tabouli - if you're making it just for 1 or 2 people, you might want to do only half since it only keeps for a few days in the refrigerator before the cucumber and tomatoes start to get mushy. You can add or leave out ingredients or change amounts to suit you tastes - it is very amenable to experimentation. Sometimes I will add chopped green pepper or grated carrots to the mixture. Usually there is a recipe on the package of bulgur wheat and those vary a lot - some are more like a green salad with mostly parsley, some call for mint, etc, and I'm sure all the variations are delicious. :)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: Tabouli

New postby AndreaSews on Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:19 pm

I don't remember seeing it on SWN. I have made a similar tabouli salad, but I chop a bunch of fresh mint leaves and add that in. Oh! I have a whole bunch of fresh tomatoes upstairs...
Andrea
AndreaSews

Return to Recipes