Homemade Noodle Recipes Anyone?

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Homemade Noodle Recipes Anyone?

New postby Pudge99 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:04 am

Since leaving McDonald's I have been on a domestic kick. Baking biscuits and a multitude of other things from scratch so I can control what goes in them. So now I am feeling the need to make my own noodles. My mom used to make them, but alas, that was another thing I failed to learn from her before her life on this earth ended. So I turn to you, oh Mothers and Sisters in sewing. Share with me your homemade noodle recipies. Your way of making noodles and the stuff you cook them with if you please.

Thanks!!!!
Last edited by Pudge99 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

Re: Homemade Noodle Recipies Anyone?

New postby Magot on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 am

um - never done that - will watch with interest..
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby jwright on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:54 am

Pretty much it is just flour and eggs. You can add all kinds of things after that... be sure you finely chop EVERYTHING you are going to put in them though. You can put things like spinach, tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, grains (for super healthy pastas)..

Basically what I usually try to keep is 1 cup of flour to 1 egg. Then add whatever else you want. You have to really roll it out and roll it around and really work with it and it will come out right. Be sure you dry your pastas for at least a couple of hours before you cook them or they will fall apart in the pan.
jwright

New postby Pudge99 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:04 pm

Jen,
Ive been reading all morning. Some recipies say to dry them out some say it doesn't matter. Some say let them lay on the counter, some say hang them from a broom stick. some say cut them as soon as you roll them others say let them dry before you cut. UUGH!!! I am wondering of it is just a personal preferences and really they work out pretty good no matter how you cut them and how long you let them dry. :think:
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:15 pm

My Mom always cut them as soon as she made them & then dried before cooking.
I was just thinking back the other day about Mom making noodles. That is one thing she never taught me.
Homeade beef & noodles sound really good now. I think I will wait until after DH birthday on the 17th. I am making swiss steak for dinner & leftovers would be really good with homeade noodles.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby Pudge99 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:20 pm

Barb,

I am planning to make mine with leftover briskit. Well all I am off to scrub the counter good and clean so I can make my noodles. I hope I succeed.:pray: :pray: :pray:
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Pudge99

Re: Homemade Noodle Recipes Anyone?

New postby Reta J on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Here is how I make mine. I make mine 1 or 2 days ahead of time to let them dry.
1 egg per person
1 teaspoon milk per egg
1/4 teaspoon baking powder per egg or there abouts (ok i don't measure, i grab, but it is around that)
enough flour to make dough so that it isn't sticky but not so stiff you can't roll it easily
salt and pepper

Mix til dough is a firm ball and not sticky. Roll out thin, cut with a pizza cutter into thin strips. Lay on foured waxed paper to dry. Cook when you need them. Use plenty of flour on rolling surface and cutter. (I have cooked them on same day but I prefer to let them dry at least 1 day no more then 2) If drying turn them a couple of times a day. Bring broth to rolling boil and drop noodles in a few at a time so they won't stick together. When cooked they will swell up 2 to 3 times their size so make sure you roll and cut thin or you will end up with dumplings instead of noodles.

I use same recipe for dumplings but drop small balls in boiling broth instead of rolling into noodles and I don't let dumplings dry.

Hope this helps.
Sewing Forever
Housework Whenever
Reta J
Reta J

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:39 pm

Talk of noodles made me hungry so I was going to make Tuna & noodles for dinner. I don't have any mushroom soup in the house & it just isn't the same without it! I am settling for some rice & shrimp.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby temom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:35 pm

I've tried to make noodles once or twice in the last 25 years. I was not successful at all. I might have to try again!
Theresa
temom

New postby jwright on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:46 pm

That sounds like a fun idea.. DH is about to be laid up at home with a knee surgery... I may have to jump on the noodle bandwagon this week. :)
jwright

Next

Return to Recipes