Peaches

Share your favorite recipes. Enter at your own risk - may be craving inducing!

Peaches

New postby Upholsteress on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:10 pm

If I leave these pretty but not quite ripe store bought peaches in the sun on my kitchen table... will they ripen up some more? :pray:
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

Re: Peaches

New postby lendube on Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:12 pm

Try a brown paper bag out of the sun for better results. ;) Stick a banana in with them if you have one.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:21 pm

I have a book called Get Fresh that explains how to select, store & prep fruits & veggies. For Peaches it says...

"You can't ripen a peach at room temperature no matter what people might say. The old paper bag routine might create a softer peach, but not a sweeter, riper one. So buy your peaches perfectly ripe and they will hold a day or two at room temperature, away from direct sunlight. If you've bought a basket, don't leave the peaches in it. Take them out and store them in a single layer. Ripe peaches last up to a week, uncovered in the fridge."

Hope this helps.
HeyJudee

New postby Upholsteress on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks for the tips!!! :D (I already ate my nanner... :oops: hehe) I guess I will just take my chances and eat the peaches this afternoon... I had them on the table in partial sun.. and they seem a bit softer and smell yummier... I will let ya know how they taste later.. ;)
Cheryl Image

I am a seamstress first... an upholsterer by trade... a flautist by heart... and forever a daughter of the Most High.
Upholsteress

New postby sewingrandma on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:48 am

We bought some peaches not long ago and they were hard, but had nice color and fragrance though. I left them on the counter for a few days, not in a bag and not in the sun and they softened up nicely. Don't know if they were sweet to begin with or not but they were very sweet and juicy when we ate them. Another batch we bought same condition softened up but weren't as juicy or tasty as the first. Different variety maybe? This last batch I bought were soft from the get go and stayed in the fridge and remained edible for about a week.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby Upholsteress on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:12 pm

Peach report...

YUMMY!!! :dance: Thanks for the tips. :D
Cheryl Image

Upholsteress

my $0.02 on peaches

New postby kellyhogaboom on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:53 pm

When I ripen fruit I put it on a cloth, on a counter, and DON'T touch it - or it may bruise. I either put a cloth over it or ensconce them in a bag. It works well.

As for buying "perfectly ripe peaches" - yeah, right! Not always so easy to find.
kellyhogaboom

Return to Recipes