Twin XL dust ruffle sizing help

Curtains, pillows, and more!

Twin XL dust ruffle sizing help

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:08 am

My DON (director of nursing=boss) has asked me to make a twin XL dust ruffle as there are none to be found online or in the stores in cream/ivory. There are pleated/tailored ones but not ruffled. I told her the only dust ruffles I've made I used a sheet on the box spring for the base and stitched a ruffle along the top edge. That will not work for this as there is no box spring. Her mother has been admitted to our facility for long term stay and she is dressing up the room for her and wants a dust ruffle for the bed.

Here's what I discovered:
Twin 39 x 76 inches
Twin X-Long 39 x 80 inches
Full 54 x 75 inches
Queen 60 x 80 inches
King 78 x 80 inches
Cal-King 72 x 84 inches

If the twin XL is 80" long and the Queen is 80" long, could she not purchase a Queen dust ruffle, I could split it down the center, remove 10 1/2" from each piece (total 21") and sew it back together? There would be a seam but it would be hidden with the decking and ruffle. Would this work?

Kathy

edited to correct the sewing, I was not thinking it out all the way...too early in the morning/not enough coffee..lol
kjh9835

Re: Twin XL dust ruffle sizing help

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Kathy, she may have trouble finding a solid gathered dust ruffle for a queen bed or she never thought about it. It could also be a money issue too & she thinks that she is saving money by having you do the sewing. Here is a link for Bed, Bath & Beyond for a queen ivory gathered dust ruffle. It is $34.99.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... 402&RN=44&
Maybe you can show this to her & suggest that you take out the excess to fit the bed. Fabric & your time would be more than this purchased one. Also, Bed, Bath & Beyond does carry the xl sheets as we bought some for our daughter when she went away to college. Target carries them also. I think if she bought a single top xl twin sheet, you could add a ruffle to it. This may be your best choice since she is going to be in a hospital bed.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Sancin on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Gee, I would think a dust ruffle would be a germ collector in any type of facility. How often would it be washed and would the cleaning staff be able to get under the bed to dust effectively?

A short dust ruffle that just covers the bed base may be best. You would make one just like one just like as if there was a box spring, only it would be placed just under the mattress on top of whatever the mattress rests on (solid metal or open springs if the beds are ancient). If it a typical hospital bed with a sold metal bottom you may want to use some velcro on the corners and along the side in a few places and glue the one side (soft) to the bed itself (to prevent shifting when the mattress shifts).
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:25 pm

She asked me last Thursday b/c she had looked and looked but wasn't able to find one to fit the XL twin and I figured it was b/c most XL twin are dorm beds. She also figured it would be too long and could I hem it if she found one. She doesn't want it touching the floor. It's not a money issue, it's a "can't find it" issue. We do have ancient beds with just mesh springs. I found the tailored ones but not ruffled.

I told her today that I could split a Queen down the middle and resize it to fit and put splits at the corners so it would go around the bed frame. She said she ordered a tailored one over the weekend and would see if it looked ok with the comforter she already bought. If it does, no need to make one. If it doesn't, she'll return it and get a Queen and I can remake it and hem it to just above the floor.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby bridesmom on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:39 pm

Have you thought about checking out the thrift stores? Since they used to be quite popular, I have noticed a lot of them in thrift stores, and if you found the right color, and a good washing, it would be fine, and easy on the pocketbook.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Home Decor