100% polyester upholstery fabric help

Curtains, pillows, and more!

100% polyester upholstery fabric help

New postby kjh9835 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 pm

My newly redone couch has been delivered July 9th, I used 100% polyester fabric from Charlotte Fabrics. I absolutely love it (or I did for 2 weeks anyway). We even repainted the LR, I made new curtains and got a new floor rug. Looks like a whole new room and will be even better if I ever get my shelves/frames repainted.

Couch issue.....Kids let other kids sit on it today with wet bathing suits. Now two of the cushions have dark dried circles on them. I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

What should I do or not do regarding the couch? Re-wet and suck with wet-dry vac or upholstery attachment on the carpet cleaner or ???

Kathy
kjh9835

Re: 100% polyester upholstery fabric help

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Sounds like Olefin polyester which doesn't take well to being wet. I would use something like Resolve to try to remove the stain & flip the cushions.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:53 pm

How about looking for some manufactors suggestions online or call Charlott Fabrics for some suggestions.
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Kathy, For all the years that I spent my whole summers at the beach, No One there ever allowed wet clothes on any upholstered surface. Or any wood surface on indoor furniture. They had to sit on plastic or yard and patio furniture always.. My brother here in town has a very nice Family room set of sofas, and chairs and no one would ever try to sit on any of it with wet suits on if they had been in the pool. If I were you , I would post a notice somewhere all visitors could see it and make sure my own family never allowed that again. Common courtesy should have told those kids no to even ask such a thing..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:42 pm

Kathy, my concern is that the chlorine from the pool may have damaged the fabric. I hope that you can get your stains out or have the guilty parties pay to have the cushions covered again from their part time jobs or allowance. Teens do not always think these things through so this will be a valuable learning lesson for them.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Amanda (16) was the guilty one who let the kids sit on the couch, she said she did not even know or think that water would stain anything. I explained that it is one of the hardest to get out. The couch does not look too bad today. It's a bit darker but not really noticeable unless you are looking for it.

I did just bleach the pool yesterday morning and I was concerned about it fading. I think I will go ahead and order matching fabric just in case it fades a spot in the future. The couch does not get direct sunlight so hopefully I can get same dye lot number from mfr. and keep it handy. If nothing else, I can flip the cushions to the other end or get a slipcover.

I would like to get at least 5 years out of the couch and I figured with my kids being older and Amanda pretty much the only one at home consistently that it would last that long before I want to redecorate so that was my justification for a $1500 couch.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:02 am

Whoa ... that is one expensive couch. I would explain to Amanda that fabric absorbs water & stains; therefore, no one in a wet bathing suit should sit on upholstered furniture. The teens should have realized this even if Amanda didn't. Hopefully as the fabric dries, the stains will fade into oblivion. I would hate to slipcover your beautiful new couch. I think ordering extra fabric for the cushions is a wise idea & let Amanda help pay for it.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby susandf on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:32 am

My Lazy-Boy Recliner has the same black wet marks - but it is 4 years old and has served us well in those 4 years.

The same stain on a brand new couch would produce a different, and slightly louder, result.

However, please learn from my mistakes:

First - read all the information in your purchase statement and everything that came with the couch - you may have some type of warranty that you are not aware of.

Then- Look at the couch tag (it is white and may be on a cushion or else on the underside of the couch). It should have a code for what can be used to clean it. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/how-to/how-to-read-upholstery-cleaning-codes-057653 is one website that explains what the code translates to.

If it is cleanable - do so as soon as possible. Use a professional if that is an option. The longer you wait, the more set-in the stain will become.

As for the kids and wet bathing suits - for that I have no suggestions - other than plastic covers for the couch...(which are so uncomfortable that no-one would ever sit on it!)

Good Luck.
The Destashification Project at: http://destashification.com/
susandf

New postby DorothyL on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:28 am

As for the kids and wet bathing suits - for that I have no suggestions - other than plastic covers for the couch

Or the kids.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby TomCofer on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:24 am

I am also planning to change my bedroom decoration, including bedding, furniture, rugs and curtain. Can you please share your room photos, Its an old post, do not know it will reach to you or not!
bedding online: www elanlinen com au
TomCofer

Next

Return to Home Decor