help with pillow covers

Curtains, pillows, and more!

help with pillow covers

New postby sewingmom on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:58 am

A friend has suggested that I make some pillow covers for her bed. The pillows are standard size but have boxed edges.
I am not sure how to make a cover to fit them. I think I should make a cover that has a seam down the middle of the boxed edge and then gathered or tucked at the corners. Would an envelope type closure work with this type pillow cover. She wants them simple so a flange or ruffel are not going to work I suspect.
Last edited by sewingmom on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sewingmom

Re: help with pillow covers

New postby DorothyL on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:21 pm

Can you just sew two pieces of fabric together then, at the corners bring the seams together and sew across the corner so it is squared off when you turn it right sides out. If you did this at both ends they would be squared off. One side would be a flat piece of fabric and the other side would be two shorter pieces that meet in the middle -- with a little overlap.
Does that make sense?
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Sancin on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:27 pm

What a good idea, Dorothy! I was considering just cutting off the binding on my pillow and pretending it wasn't squared. I wonder why they bring out new shapes without bring out cases as the same time. :think:
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby berrytim80 on Thu May 31, 2012 4:29 am

I admit that I tend to change my mind, frequently. My husband would call it, to be fickle. I just, call it "ever evolving design tastes." Whatever you call it, it means that I really love decor that has built in flexibility, such as pillow covers that can be removed, washed, or changed. The best thing about pillow covers is that they are so, easy to make.

decorative pillow covers
berrytim80

New postby kjh9835 on Thu May 31, 2012 12:18 pm

Can you just sew two pieces of fabric together then, at the corners bring the seams together and sew across the corner so it is squared off when you turn it right sides out

This is exactly how to do it the easy way. I made the cover for the dog bed easily enough then we managed to do a rocking chair cushion for my boss the same way. Its much easier than trying to actually cut a strip long enough and get all the corners "squared" up when putting it together. That's the way my mom had to do them when she did custom draperies as they had to be very professional and she charged accordingly but her customers did not care about the cost. I wish I had money to spare like that. Anyway, she showed me this way and it's fairly easy. I also do my tote bags this way so they have squared bottoms and stand up on their own.

Kathy
kjh9835

Return to Home Decor