Cheap genuine wood blinds

Curtains, pillows, and more!

Cheap genuine wood blinds

New postby jenny on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:16 am

Hi

I' ve started this new topic with the intention of finding out information about genuine wooden blinds. I've recently found an interesting online offer and I'm thinking of purchasing some new oak blinds. Although I've only had shutters I feel like changing this habit and using instead of them window treatments. What do you think about this deal that I have discovered? Is it worth it?
[link removed by administrator]

Cheers
jenny

Re: Cheap genuine wood blinds

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:34 am

In the newer homes in my community, wooden blinds are almost a standard. However, from my friends that have them, they are major dust catchers and are not as easy to clean as vinyl blinds which you just hose off. If you have allergies to dust mites, etc they can be a hazard to your health. The wooden blinds are really pretty but as they age, one has to re-stain/paint them again and again to look nice. Personally, I wouldn't have them.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby vickki on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:23 pm

I would think that the sun would quickly discolor them....If you like them and don't mind the up keep go for it...
vickki

New postby AndreaSews on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:50 pm

For a good deal less money than genuine wood, I purchased wood-looking blinds. They'll retain their "stain" color, and they are lighter. This matters b/c it's pretty hard to raise and lower wooden blinds by pulling a cord due to their weight. I have had mine for about 7 yrs, and I haven't found dusting to be a big problem. I wipe them with a microfiber cloth, and pretty infrequently. I just "close" the blinds and wipe horizontally over each slat. I don't smoke though--If I did, they'd be discolored and have a film over them that is difficult to clean. I remember my grandmother coming over to visit when we first put them in. She counted the windows, looked at the blinds, and shook her head, warning me what a pain in the butt they'd be to clean. I'm relieved that it hasn't been an issue, but then, I don't have the same (clinically insane?) standards that she had for window washing!
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby momquilts on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Andrea, I don't have the crazy window washing/blind cleaning obsession either. This year when it was time to wash the curtains to remove the thick layer of dust, it was easier to buy new vinyl miniblinds than to try to wash them. I am gradually replacing all of them in the house as I clean and repaint the rooms. At Walmart they are around $3-$4 per window so I would rather spend the money as the time. Three rooms (seven blinds) down, two rooms (four blinds) to go.
momquilts

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:54 pm

I've gotten rid of all my blinds, except for the vertical one on the glass doors in the den. Gets afternoon sun and they are needed to help darken the room for tv watching fro the grands.. I have drapes on the more formal rooms in the house, and lace curtains in my BR and bath.. All my life I wanted lace curtains, and either Parents or DH always said no.. So, after my divorce, 1979, first time my br needed new window treatment, lace curtains went up.. Provace is not a problem as the room in on the back of the house, and the trees in my backyard screen all views because there are no near neighbors that way.(Next street over is a good distance away and there are many trees and a hill between) I hated cleaning the blinds, but we always hung them outdoors on the line and used the hose and a brush. Lots of work.. I like vacuuming drapes and throwing curtains in the washer and dryer much better..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby ddreev on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:06 pm

I have 2" wooden blinds, most are white but the kitchen has a wood color.
I find them much easier to clean than the aluminum mini blinds I had years ago. I just occasionally dust them like you would a piece of wood furniture. I generally use some sort of dust catching rag so the dust doesn't just fly around. On the blinds in the kitchen and bathroom I sometimes use a slightly damp rag for those if the dust is stuck to them because of the high humidity, but that is probably about twice a year.
In the house before this one I had the 2" wood blinds for about 6 years before we moved and didn't have any trouble with them. In this house the wood colored blinds were here when we bought and they are still fine but it is a northern exposure.
The only problem I see with wooden blinds are they are heavy so if you have a wide window it is best to put your hand under the bottom rail to support them as you are raising them. They also have a deep stack so when you pull them up they still cover 5" or more of you window if it is an inside mount.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby vickki on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:48 pm

My problem is I can't leave the same thing up to long....I always have to change colors....I do my bathroom colors 4 times a year and my kitchen and diningroom 3 times....I have been looking at the livingroom,however I am painting next week so maybe after I choose a color....My color changing is worst than trying to hide fabric from my husband after I buy it....lol
vickki

Return to Home Decor