fashion fabric club

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

fashion fabric club

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:59 am

Has anyone used this company? Good service, quality fabric etc? Looked at the site this morning and found some pretty knits at reasonable prices. Just not sure about service and quality. Still looking for some knits for DD maternity tops that aren't either too juvenile or too "old" looking.
Brockie
sewingrandma

Re: fashion fabric club

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 am

Brockie, When I first got a computer, I received swatches from them on a monthly basis, and an introductory price on certain fabrics that was great. I ordered a couple of times to get knits not available locally. Good service. I finally requested they stop sending swatches. This was when I got better fabrics available locally.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewingrandma on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks Libby. I think I'll give the website to my DD and have her look thru what they have.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Brockie, I have heard very good things about fashion fabric club on a lot of the sewing blogs that I read.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Several years ago I ordered from FFC. I can't say I would really recommend it, but maybe things have changed. I ordered a couple of knits, and one slinky knit was completely sheer and unusable. If I recall correctly, they may have given me a refund for that. Their shipping was extremely slow.

I would check pattern review or elsewhere to find more recent reviews, though. My overall impression of the place is that there are bargains to be had, but they carry a lot of crappy fabric too. You could try ordering swatches, but the fabric may sell out by the time you receive them.

One thought I had was Metro Textiles in NYC - they do not have an online store, but the owner will look for fabric that meets your specifications and send swatches. The prices are very good, and he has tons of beautiful knit prints that would make lovely and flattering maternity wear. I have posted fabrics that I have bought from Metro several times, including the maternity top I made for my sister.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info. Still haven't decided about online fabric. I'll have to go check at PR to see what they say there. I did complete another top and it fit perfectly. DD is certainly blossoming quickly.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:30 am

I am really not one to ask about ordering online.. I am so careful with my money that I do not order anything sight unseen except from Nancy's Notions. I would never order fabric that I had not seen in person. You have to remember I am almost 80 years old and computers are totally new to me. My sister who is a post WW11 Baby is a computer geek, but not me. I cannot afford to have one piece of fabric that is not up to standard. That is what I liked about FFC, I had the swatches to look at and more important, to feel. I always go more by feel than anything else. My mother taught me to take cotton fabric and scrub it in my hands as if washing it, before choosing. That gets rid of some of the sizing if they have loaded an inferior bolt with it. That saves me money every time I shop.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Understanding Fabrics