Quality fabrics...anyone?

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

Re: Quality fabrics...anyone?

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Piney, I know what you are saying about quality of fabric, but I learned as a child from my DGM that before purchasing fabric take a corner and scrub it in your hands to see how much different it feels when you remove the sizing with the scrubbing motion in your hands. I know how to judge quality in fabric, so I do not overpay. I cannot afford to. I do not have a penny to waste these days.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby kjh9835 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Piney, Thanks for the links. I've ordered from some of them before. Once I saw them, I recognized them but would not have remembered if you hadn't posted. The old computer had everything saved for me, it died and I didn't have a backup drive so I lost everything. That's been a year or two ago, I have a backup now (learned the hard way).

More online "window" shopping on Thursday since I'll be out all evening tomorrow.

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby Sancin on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:48 pm

I have purchased some good fabric from this Canadian quilting fabric shop - stated to sell British fabrics - prices very reasonable and cheaper than US sources

http://www.sew-sisters.com/
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby pinecone on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Libby, I soooo understand counting pennies right now. That is why I love Keepsake Quilting's once a year tent sale in NH.

Kathy, I'll have to back up my "favorites" again soon. My DH had a friend that had a seperate harddrive for backup. Both got wiped out in a storm last summer. :cry:

Sancin, I know, sometimes the postage eats up any savings going across the border or over the pond.

piney
pinecone

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:36 pm

pinecone wrote:That is why I love Keepsake Quilting's once a year tent sale in NH.
piney

Piney, I just love Keepsake too. Stopped in there once a couple of years ago when I went to MQX when it was in Manchester, NH. We stopped on the way there and stopped back in on our way back. Loved their back room and got some really nice batiks there are sale. But I only ordered once from them on line as their shipping cost to Canada is really expensive. I can get fabric cheaper and with less expensive shipping elsewhere.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby pinecone on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:32 pm

HeyJudee wrote:
pinecone wrote:That is why I love Keepsake Quilting's once a year tent sale in NH.
piney

Piney, I just love Keepsake too. ..... But I only ordered once from them on line as their shipping cost to Canada is really expensive. ...

I know sometimes the shipping can be eye opening. I'm close by so shopping the sale is best for me. I have soooo much fabric that might be my only splurge this year.

piney
pinecone

New postby HeyJudee on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:04 pm

pinecone wrote:I'm close by...

piney

Good to know...the next time I head down KQ's way I'll let you know and maybe we can get together for a coffee. I'm from southern QC originally and my niece, the one who quilts, lives in the Sherbrooke area. She & I have gone south of the border to VT & NH periodically for some fabric retail therapy. ;)
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby pinecone on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 pm

HeyJudee wrote:
pinecone wrote:I'm close by...

piney

Good to know...the next time I head down KQ's way I'll let you know and maybe we can get together for a coffee.

Oh yes, do! I have yet to meet anyone on this forum.

piney
pinecone

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:07 am

So I bought some dinosaur flannel for dd19 for some pj pants. She wanted some over Christmas once she found out I made dd16 a pair one morning. I did not have anymore flannel so last trip to JoAnn's, I bought the dinosaur print as she is a dinosaur nut. It was not on sale and I did not have a coupon so it was about $18 for the fabric. I prob. could have bought her two pair at WalMart for that price but they would not be dinosaur print and they wouldn't be from my sewing room (she's back to college and called crying homesick), maybe these will make her feel better.

Pattern calls for 2 5/8 yd, I purchased 2 3/4 yards to allow for shrinkage, etc. That's only about a 4" difference but I also knew that the pattern would be way long and I'd have to shorten the length and would have more "extra" that what I purchased. Prewashed and laid out the pattern, folded them up at the line for length adjustment and I'm 6" short on one end and 3 1/2" short on the other end because it was cut crookedly. They are going to end up "capri" length on her. I guess I'm going to have to automatically start adding 1/2 yard to every fabric I buy just to be sure I have enough once the pattern is laid out.

If I was new to sewing and bought pattern/fabric for something easy like pj pants and had this issue, I'd prob. get discouraged and quit sewing. Is flannel worse on shrinkage than usual 100% cotton novelty type fabrics?

Kathy
kjh9835

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:31 am

Kathy, I rarely sew with flannel or cotton but have not noticed any additional shrinkage issues. I do find that I must watch carefully when fabric is being cut because most clerks (these days) do not know how to lay out & cut fabric. I almost always buy a 1/2 yd extra of any fabric I buy. There is only one shop in Memphis in which I trust the correct amount being cut as the owner is also a well known seamstress for Sew Beautiful magazine. She runs her fabric store out of her home & is generous with her cuts. I would shop from her almost exclusively if my budget would allow it.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

PreviousNext

Return to Understanding Fabrics