Jersey in the dryer

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

Jersey in the dryer

New postby Mule on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:41 pm

I have some jersey I bought from Joann's that's 98% rayon and 2% spandex. I noted that the care instructions said to machine wash cold and line dry. I have jersey from fabric.com that's also 98% rayon and 2% spandex, but the care instructions say I can tumble dry on low. They feel exactly the same, and I had no problems with that jersey in the dryer.

So, do you think I'd be safe putting the stuff from Joann's in the dryer on low temp? I know, the correct answer is to cut a 4" swatch out and test it, but my fabric is already in the washer. I'm just asking for a general opinion -- not planning to hold anyone responsible if it doesn't work out well. :)
Beth
Mule

Re: Jersey in the dryer

New postby sewingmom on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:55 pm

No matter what the care instructions say, I usually treat it fabric whatever way I will treat it after it is made into a garment. I hang most of my slinky fabrics and my knits to dry but they accidentaly get in the dryer on occasion. That said, I would probaably dry it on low once to give it the treatment it might get so it will already be conditioned to it. I did ruin some silk when I forgot that I intended to wash and dry it very carefully many times till it stopped fading. About half way through, I noticed the fabric was looking pretty rough and then I realized I had forgotten to put it in the mesh bag I had started out washing it in. I use mesh bags a lot when I want to machine wash a handwashable item. Works pretty good most of the time.
sewingmom

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:50 pm

When i worked in the fabric store I was told that manufacturers have to have a certaian percentage of fabric with different labels so sometimes we would get 100% Poly or 50/50 Cotton Poly that said Dry Clean only. I always told people pretreat as you would launder but remember if you don't follow the instructions The company would not be responsible for damage.
That said, I would put it in the dryer! ;)
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby Mule on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:27 pm

That's what I figured. I'm putting it in the dryer because I know sometime it will end up in there, and I'd rather have it be before I sew the garment!
Beth
Mule

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:03 pm

I've really not had good luck with rayon/spandex knits. I got some from Joann's a few years ago, and it pilled after the 2nd or 3rd washing even thought I didn't put it in the dryer. Hopefully yours fares better.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Mule on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Hopefully! Even though I got it on sale, the regular price wasn't cheap. If it doesn't work out, I'll know not to buy more. I'm not too impressed with their fabric anyways. They had a lot of them on sale this week 50% off, and I had a card for an additional 30% off entire purchase. I only got a couple things, because there wasn't much I liked. Their suiting fabric felt cheap and was predominantly polyester, their "silkies" were actually polyester.... :roll:
Beth
Mule

New postby lendube on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:56 am

I find that they have so few stretch fabrics in prints. And they don't carry Hawaiian prints in the fall and winter. That's really strange in California. Maybe not in other parts of the world but here it's weird.

I would just wash it in a quick, warm cycle and dry very gently but not all the way. Hang to dry from damp.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby Mule on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 pm

I dried it all the way, on medium heat, and it looks fine. I'll probably still try to line dry the finished garment, but I was worried it would end up in the dryer eventually. Either because I forgot that was the jersey that didn't go in, or because someone else moved the items from the washer into the dryer. (My son used to do that all the time when he wanted to wash his work pants/apron. But I'm probably safe for a while as neither DH or DD has the slightest clue how to work the washer!)
Beth
Mule

Return to Understanding Fabrics