Help me identify this please.

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

Help me identify this please.

New postby lendube on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:09 am

I have to replicate (make several identical as opposed to duplicate meaning to make just one :roll: I looked it up) this lampshade cover for a customer. Looks easy enough and I plan to make the pattern pieces today, all two of them, and cut out the top pieces.

What I'm having trouble with is identifying the off white fabric at the bottom. See pic. She gave me fabric to use for the sides (and I'll also be embroidering a beautiful insignia on each side) but I need to figure out what the bottom stuff is so I can buy some. It's very, very stiff, perhaps starched but maybe not. It reminds me of the stuff on the top back of curtains into which the hooks go, if you know what I mean. I'm sure it has a name. I could also find something like it that's not stiff and make it so. What is that starch I've read about here? I've only ever used spray starch and that's been years and years. Thanks for your help.

Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Help me identify this please.

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:21 am

Lennie, the headers for drapes is called Buckram. I have some interfacing that is very stiff called Shirtfuse. If you starch something, eventually the starch will fade away, over enough time.. I suggest you go and look at the backings and interfacings.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby lendube on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:31 am

Libby, you're a jewel. A lady not too long ago used that word, Buckram, and it occurred to me that that's what I might want but I never would have remembered the name of it. The starch washing out concerned me too. You have the answers, girl!
Lennie

lendube

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:35 am

Most of my problems with re doing lampshades is the kind with the recessed wire framing on the inside and getting the spacing right on the copies..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Magot on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Ah, you beat me with the buckram Libby! I have not seen it white though - only ever come across natural colours.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby lendube on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Well, luckily natural is what I want! Also, I'm not making the whole shade, just a "slip cover" for it if you will. JoAnn's seems to carry it by the yard or bolt. It's cheap by the yard, only $4.89, I think. It's not even sewn before attaching to the bottom of the shade, it's folded. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping the JoAnn's I will pass on my way from my Mom's Tuesday will have it in stock. Please............ I'll call first. There are two JoAnn's, different routes. One's a superstore. Don't have time to order it online. The customer wants the finished shade cover by the 8th and with the holiday it would not happen.
Last edited by lendube on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lennie

lendube

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:48 pm

Magot wrote:Ah, you beat me with the buckram Libby! I have not seen it white though - only ever come across natural colours.

Me Too! But I have only seen white.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby DorothyL on Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 pm

You might need to serge the edges of buckram to keep it from fraying -- I'm not sure. It has been a while since I used it. I have a rather large scrap but I can't remember what I used it for.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:09 pm

Libby is too quick. Buckram it is. I bought some for a ballcap peak, course I had to buy a ton of it for a small peak. I think it's still rolled up somewhere in my interfacings, too bad you couldn't just stop buy and pick it up, I'd be happy to give it to you! Mine's white too. Did you find any at Joann's?
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:17 am

Haven't been yet. I'll stop by one JoAnn's tomorrow on my way to my Mom's. It's her 81st b'day but she won't know. If that JoAnn's doesn't have it I'll stop by another on my way home. If neither do then I'll come up with something else. And sorry, Laura, I need natural, not white but thanks for the offer.
Lennie

lendube

Next

Return to Understanding Fabrics