Gold Lame` Fabric

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

Gold Lame` Fabric

New postby ruby71975 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Hello,

I have a question about Gold Lame` fabric. I am trying to work on a Christmas wall quilt and table runner. These pieces have Poinsettia flowers appliqued on with gold lame` yo-yo's for the flowers center. My lame` seems to fray very quickly. i know that this type of fabric does fray but is there a way to prevent this. I am thinking of the long term life of the piece. I wanted to make these as gifts and will do this with the understanding that they will get washed from time to time. So how do i prevent or decrease the fraying of the fabric?
is fusiable interfacing enough?
Kerry
ruby71975

Re: Gold Lame` Fabric

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Kerry, I would suggest serging the edges of the fabric. Interfacing will help when sewing gold lame' but I don't think that it will stop fraying.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:05 pm

I used some of this in a green lame and it was terrible for fraying. I'd serge it, and also do an extra row of straight stitch, fairly short stitches (2-2.5) to try and hold the fabric together. A lightweight iron on interfacing may help but will make it stiffer, course it depends on what you are doing with it. FrayCheck also helps, it's a liquid that you put onto the edge of the fabric to help stop fraying. It sounds like a pretty wall hanging, you must post pictures when you're done!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:04 pm

When I made quilted clutch purses from gold lame, I bonded the quilting material to the lame first so that the fraying would not be a problem, because if you just look at lame, it starts fraying..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby ruby71975 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Thank you for the suggestion I will try that.
ruby71975

Return to Understanding Fabrics