I know I should........

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

Re: I know I should........

New postby lendube on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Stores are good at pointing it out and it's usually a few more dollars per yard more expensive. Don't know of any brands except "Polar Fleece".
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:20 pm

I like polar fleece, it doesn't pill as bad as the rest.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:32 am

Keep in mind that some anti-pill fleece is only anti-pill on one side. Ask me how I know...
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby temom on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:49 am

sewingmom wrote:how do i know if fleece is anti pill? what are some good brands of fleece?

lendube wrote:Stores are good at pointing it out and it's usually a few more dollars per yard more expensive. Don't know of any brands except "Polar Fleece".

I asked at the local Joanns and they said "I don't know." Lot of help they are. When I first started sewing, I asked what kind of needle I needed to sew canvas. They replied the exact same way. Fortunately a customer suggested a larger or denim needle.
Theresa
temom

New postby bridesmom on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:08 pm

I have found that the salespeople at Joann's don't 1) have a clue about sewing or quilting or 2) are told not to advise the customer in case they are wrong and the customer gets mad. I've had a salesperson tell me that she wasn't allowed to offer advice. So I quit asking. But the local store I deal with, since they know me, we talk about stuff, and if I ask what they use they'll tell me but they still won't offer advice. I get most of my advice about things from other customers. In fact the other day I was in a store and i walked up to an elderly lady and asked her if she knitted, and could she tell me if the sweater I was holding was 100% wool or a blend. We had quite a nice conversation.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby DorothyL on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:09 am

I went shopping with my daughter yesterday -- she took me to pick up some drugs at the drug store. She wanted to go to JoAnne Fabrics and I agreed. She needed some fabric for a peasant blouse.
I'd made a blouse and she said it looked like something she could make. I agreed and ignored an ongoing barrage of hints that I could make another one or a few more.
She decided she really couldn't afford the fabric this week and I bought fabric, yarn, knitting needles, some odds and ends and I'm still not making her the shirt until it is on my list of things I want to make!!

But, while I was there I looked at the fleece I bought and it was one of the more expensive JoAnn Fabrics sells and is anti-pill so I should get a fairly decent jacket.
Remember It doesn't have to last forever. I like making coats and jackets so I'll want a new one in a year or two.

The weather got record breaking hot last week so I was in no mood to make a fleece jacket.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:33 am

The Hancocks shop I deal with always has their fleeces marked as 'anti pill' when that is the brand on sale. The thing that bothers me is if I don't mark the right side, sometimes I cannot tell the sides apart. And, like Kaitlin, I have found that the wrong side will pill.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby momquilts on Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:07 pm

I am a regular customer at the local Joann's and have had the same salesclerk cut my fabric for 3 Saturdays in a row. This week she gave me her opinion on the shade of green I was trying to choose to match my quilt square. She remembered that the quilts were for the coming twin grandsons, when they were due, and what I was making for the room. I like returning to the stores that seem to take an interest in their customers. There is another Joann's about a half-hour north of here. The staff there is not at all friendly and I don't like going there. I only go when my friend wants to go north. I'd rather go an hour south to my favorite store....and it helps that DGS is right around the corner from that store.
momquilts

New postby bridesmom on Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Dorothy, somewhere I learned that to tell the right side of the fleece, you need to look at it from the side and the layer with the most height is the right side. I was being so careful on DGD's coat, then realized after I had sewn the hood lining and topstitched it that I did it inside out. You can only tell when you look really close at it, and being that it's inside, it won't matter.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 am

Not sure if this is still going on, but my son's girlfriends mother said last night that Joann's offers a student discount of 15% if you show your student ID.
I am taking DS with me fabric shopping now!! :D :D
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

PreviousNext

Return to Understanding Fabrics