Homespun flannel?

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

Homespun flannel?

New postby lendube on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:54 am

I'm looking at a project calling for Homespun Flannel. Is that the same as regular flannel? Is it just regular Homespun? I'm confused. It's for a really attractive rag style throw. I'm deliberately not using the Q word since it's actually called a "Throw" ;) in the book.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Homespun flannel?

New postby Pudge99 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:31 pm

I know homespun cotton is very loosely woven. We have some in the store and it drives me crazy as it unravels if you look at it funny. I'm not sure about homespun flannel. I'll look and see if we have some tomorrow when I go in to chat with the other lady who works there.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:29 pm

I have a couple of pieces of flannel in my stash that I bought a long time ago at Wally World for $1.00 per yard. The plaid pieces were very loosly woven. Someone told me they were homespun flannel. The weave is very different than the flannel that I buy for receiving blankets. I used them in the denim rag quilt I made. The reverse side of the denim was flannel squares. So the ease of raveling came in handy for my purpose. I have a short piece left in the odd scrap bin. Its only a few inches long.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby bridesmom on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:54 pm

It's also usually not a print, meaning it's the same on the front and back, usually a plaid or a stripe. And it's definitely a looser weave. I would think a regular flannel would work, though it's a thicker 'rag' than the homespun would provide.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Ah, so there is such an animal....... I'll be visiting JoAnn's tomorrow perhaps and check it out. Thanks, guys.
Lennie

lendube

New postby Pudge99 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:34 pm

I was not able to find any homespun flannel at the store. I am pretty sure that it will be plaid or stripes as Bridesmom said. All our homespun cotton is plaid.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby lendube on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks for checking, Gina. Thanks everyone for your input. What I discovered (by myself since no one in the store seemed to know either) is that Homespun Flannel is also known as Flannel Shirting. It's plaids and checks and woven so it's on both sides as opposed to being printed. It's a loose weave too. JoAnn's had it for I think $4.99-$6.99 per yard not on sale. To make the throw I'd need 12.5 yards of 4 prints. That's a lot of moolah! I'll see how cheap it is when it's on sale. I'm also thinking that regular flannel would work too at $2.99 per yard on sale.

Thanks, everyone! :D
Lennie

lendube

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:23 pm

As I sald , I used a combination in my rag quilt of regular flannel and the homespun. Worked fine for me.. I had 8 inch squares and 1/2 inch seams to rag..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Understanding Fabrics