Buying Fabric in India

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

Re: Buying Fabric in India

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Oh Theresa, that's wonderful. I love how everything falls in place when you want it to do so. Good luck!!!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Bama on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:30 pm

lendube wrote: Talk about right place at the right time!
That's what I was thinking!
I hope you'll get some wonderful fabric. :D
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby Shellymoon on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:17 pm

I visited India last year and didn't find the fabric to be all that wonderful. A lot of it was very cheap polyester.
Yes, you can get silk, but you'll have to look hard for it and be firm about what price you want to pay. It's easy to get ripped off.
Your best bet: Cottons and anything embroidered.

And, yes, definitely get a sari. It's generally 6 yards of uncut fabric with decorative edges. I've seen people cut them up to make maxi dresses.

My daughter is going to India in a few weeks too. We hit the Indian stores in our community last week and got her some clothes and enough fabric to make one outfit. I'll have to post pictures. She looks so cute!
Shelly Moon
Shellymoon

New postby temom on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:19 am

It sounds like I'll be getting some cotton, which is perfectly fine with me. My friend is having her mother buy it for me. We will see in a month just what happens. :D
Theresa
temom

New postby sewingmom on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:07 pm

After reading this post, I called my brother, who just happens to be going to India in the fall. I suggested that he could buy me some fabric while he is there. He didn't sound to sure. Thanks for the posts on the subject.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:09 am

I'm thinking he may be freaking out, What, She wants me to buy Fabric!! In a Store, with Women!! Lots of Women!! Who don't speak English!!!! Oh My! :D :D
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby temom on Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:47 am

"After reading this post, I called my brother, who just happens to be going to India in the fall. I suggested that he could buy me some fabric while he is there. He didn't sound to sure. Thanks for the posts on the subject."

sewingmom

bridesmom wrote:I'm thinking he may be freaking out, What, She wants me to buy Fabric!! In a Store, with Women!! Lots of Women!! Who don't speak English!!!! Oh My! :D :D

:lol: :D I think Laura has really nailed it! (Although they probably do speak English) I can see him shudder now, lol! :D
Theresa
temom

New postby lendube on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:58 am

Silly men! :roll: Give him a note of what you're hoping to get fabric-wise - quality, amount, cost. Tell him to speak with the concierge/front desk at the hotel. They will be able to get him to a fabric shop, hopefully not one that caters to tourists.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewingmom on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:41 pm

You know, DB did say "but I'm not going to a tourist area". He is worried because it is not an area where tourists would be shopping but I am thiniking that is all the better. I will suggest he ask some of the people he will be working with there. You know, the locals. They will probably know just who to get to go with him and where. Is it dangerous there for Americans in the non tourist areas??? If he inherited any of my Dad's taste in fabrics, he will be able to pick out something pretty and quality.
sewingmom

Previous

Return to Understanding Fabrics