Sweatshirt fleece and ribbing

Working with a new fabric can be intimidating - discuss everything from washing to needle choice here.

Sweatshirt fleece and ribbing

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:45 am

I was wondering if you guys knew of a good source for sweatshirt fleece, and maybe matching ribbing too although that's not a requirement. I've checked a few places - Wazoodle has some, but they only have a few basic colors. I was hoping for something a little more exciting than black, navy, white, red or hunter green. The green might be ok..but I don't know. I could go with the white and dye it since it's 100% cotton, but I'm concerned the thick fleece would create problems for a novice dyer. :)

The fabric will be for a zip sweatshirt for DH using Jalie 2212.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: Sweatshirt fleece and ribbing

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Kaitlin, here is a source. http://www.fleece-fabric.com/products.php?id=11 Also, my local Jo-Ann Fabrics (a new store here) and Hancock Fabrics have a lot of fleece in different colors and prints. Hope this helps.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby plrlegal on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:06 am

Hancock's here in my neighborhood also carries a limited amount of colors in sweatshirt knits. I have a whole lot of it in light grey which I haven't used. I think it was on sale at a clearance price of maybe 60% off so I bought lie five yards or something like that to have in my stash just in case I did decide to use it for sweatshirts. However, dh and I order sweatshirts from a web site http://www.cheapestees.com

Patsy
"Quilting Is My Therapy...I've Been Preshrunk"
plrlegal

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:30 am

Thank for the suggestions - I have looked at the local Hancock and Joann, but not too recently. I don't remember there being a lot of colors, and the fabric seemed kind of stiff and scratchy. I think at one place or the other it was a 50-50 cotton/poly blend, and really stiff with virtually no stretch. I'd really like to make something for DH that uses the coverstitch machine he bought me. :)
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Kaitlin, I haven't checked lately, but Nancy's Notions used to have a great number of colors in the sweatshirt fleece and matching ribbing.. Check out the website..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:03 am

I just found this: Sweatshirt fleece and rib knit from Fabric.com. Still not thrilled with the color selection, though. I might end up dyeing it. :think:

Libby - I thought I remembered Nancy's Notions have a decent selection, but they don't have much on the website right now.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:30 pm

That is sad.. I just got an e-mail from there, and for all who get e-mails from them, this week is free shipping.. I was going to tell you that.. Sorry they dont have a good selection.. I have quite a collection of ribbing.. do you need a specific color right now.. I have been collecting for a number of years.. Every once in a while I find the 60 inch wide bolts at Wal-mart.. They are usually in the $ 1.00 a yard bins with just a few yards on the board..And of course I hit a mill sale when they occur around here. Got burgundy, and yellow and flag blue at the last sale..I use so much of it making the baby bibs from the decorated fingertip towels..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Understanding Fabrics