Can we afford to sew any more?

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

Can we afford to sew any more?

New postby susandf on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:17 am

This weekend I went to JCPenney.

I found several designer (Liz Claiborne, etc) dresses and tops marked down to $11.97 and then further discounted with a coupon!

The dresses were beautiful, well-made, lined or finished seams - and varied in style from work appropriate to dinner out fancy to a night out on the town (rare for me) occasion dresses....and they FIT!

After discounts, the final price of each of the designer dresses was less than $10!

After I got them home, I started to think about my stash and how I really wanted to sew it into dresses much like those that I had just purchased. Then I did the math!

Even on sale, a zipper is over $2, thread another $1 or $2 and interfacing at least another $2 - $5. Lining would cost at least $5. Patterns (only purchased on sale) are $1 to $4. Even if I used my stash fabric for the dress, the cost of the finished dress would exceed the $10 I paid this weekend!

It made me sad.

I love to sew. I want to sew up all those beautiful fabrics I have. But the final fit is usually "off" just a bit, and now the cost of sewing seems to exceed the cost of ready-made!
The Destashification Project at: http://destashification.com/
susandf

Re: Can we afford to sew any more?

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:38 am

I think in your case, Susan, is that the clothes fit your body shape perfectly. I spend an average of $30-50 on supplies to make an outfit. I am always striving for that perfect fit that I cannot find in RTW. At 5'7-1/2" with an average body shape, I should be able to find clothes that fit but I don't. Occasionally, I will luck up on a pair of pants but I usually have to pay $50 or more for them. Sewing is an extension of who I am as a person. I like being able to have unique clothes tailored just for me. I won't run into others with the same outfit on as I have when I have purchased RTW clothing. It just depends on whether I want to invest the time in achieving a good fit with the best fabric that I can afford whether it's for home linens or clothing. I would rather pay $40 for a piece of linen for a table runner than buy something less expensive at a home specialty store. To me, also, sewing is not about the money spent, it's about the process & obtaining goals that I set for myself. I don't have a large wardrobe or very many fancy linens but what I do have are some of the best that I can afford. It's all a matter of perspective of what you want to do with your time.
Marty ;)

Edited to correct fragmented sentence.
Last edited by MartySews2 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:16 am

For me it is not a matter of money. I hate to shop and I love to sew.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby SmilieFace on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:42 am

DorothyL wrote:For me it is not a matter of money. I hate to shop and I love to sew.

Dorothy

Ditto Dorothy's comment. If I searched, it would definitely be cheaper to buy RTW clothes rather than make them. Everyone needs hobbies, and I happen to be able to wear mine. As my dad says, "Some people spend their money going out and drinking every week. You spend your money on fabric."
SmilieFace

New postby HeyJudee on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:57 am

That's one of the reasons I don't sew my clothes any more. But love sewing...so make quilts instead... ;)
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby sewingmom on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:01 am

I'll echo Marty and Dorothy. For me it is also continuing a family tradition. My grandchildren see a grandma made garment as a touch of grandma's and grandpa's love. (he doesn't give me a hard time about the expense or the time envolved in sewing and even makes stops on the way home from work to bring me a sewing necessity from time to time). Sewing is also my relaxation and mind exercise.
sewingmom

New postby momquilts on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:29 am

I think DH is getting to be known by the ladies in the fabric department in Walmart. The Joann's ladies already know him well and they are getting to know DS too since he lives closer and sometimes goes to get me things on the way to my house.
momquilts

New postby lendube on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:15 am

It's my hobby and hobbies cost money. I'd sew regardless of the cost. I'm hooked for life.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby DorothyL on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:49 am

It's my hobby and hobbies cost money. I'd sew regardless of the cost. I'm hooked for life.

I always figure the cost is for the pleasure I get from my hobby. All my clothes are free.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:43 am

I'm with everyone else here, and especially the fact that what I make is totally unique, no one else will ever show up in the same outfit, and the pleasure I get when someone says, 'where did you get that' and I can say ' I made it'. Yes, I can buy RTW cheaper, but rarely does it fit the way I want it to, being 5'10 most RTW are too short in the length, be it sleeve, body, crotch or leg. If I can find RTW that I like and that fits, I will buy it, but it doesn't happen often.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Next

Return to Fashion and Style