Back again with my weight loss story and altering my clothes

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

Re: Back again with my weight loss story and altering my clothes

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:03 am

Magot wrote: Re limited budget - how about shopping at goodwill for extra large sizes and using that as material to cut down?

Oh, I have enough of my own clothes to alter let alone go buy some more!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have found, if at night after work, I sit and watch tv with DH I take the capris/shorts/blouses or whatever, I rip the seams out and then when I have time to sew, I then have things ready to make smaller, and I don't have to waste time by ripping seams out...
I also have inherited some old shorts of DS that he couldn't wear anymore ( he needed a bigger size) and I take off the cargo pockets, and the back pocket/flap and then I have some longer shorts to wear at my cleaning job!!! :) :) :)
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby bridesmom on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Ok, the skin quilt thing is grossing me out!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Yeah, me too! Ewww. Thanks for that mental image, Karen! :sick: I know, you can make one and NOT show us, okay?
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewhappyrtr on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:34 am

lendube wrote:Yeah, me too! Ewww. Thanks for that mental image, Karen! :sick: I know, you can make one and NOT show us, okay?

Oh not me... I don't quilt at all!!!
Karen
sewhappyrtr

New postby caro488 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:09 pm

I have lost 30 pounds since Feb - and I have dug out all the pants from the back of my closet. They are two sizes smaller and fit well enough - I will wear them. But I am very short-waisted, and almost all of them have way too much fabric in the front - They pull up a good 2 inches higher than my waist. But I never tuck in shirts, so they will be OK while I lose more - I'd like to get rid of another 30.

I am using the sure-fit system to make a sloper for now, though I believe I will lose enough to have to make another, smaller one someday. I will sew some things for this current size, throw out lots of items that I loved, but have worn out (Did that peachy blouse ALWAYS look faded??)

I just have anxiety issues - once the fabric is cut, it is such a commitment.
caro488

New postby bridesmom on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Start with easy stuff, build confidence then go for something more difficult. Take your time, and pick up some really cheap fabric for your muslins or mock ups, which can save lots of headaches with your really good fashion fabric.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:16 am

One thing that saved me a lot of extra expense, during the period of losing was this. On pants with elastic in the waistband, I would take the larger ones, turn inside out and serge a new inseam from about knee height thru the crotch seam and taper down to other knee. This will take a size or two out of the pants and enable a few months longer wear before you have to get new ones. That is an easy alteration. and you can always rip a seam and make the elastic smaller if needed.. I had to do that a couple of times..When it got to where I could fit into 14's and 12's again, it felt really good to buy a couple pair of pants. I have never been able to fit myself properly in making them. I am putting that on my agenda for the fall. Another try at properly fitting pants.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Well, after having struggled to lose the weight, I gained some back, so I am again making the effort to lose the weight AGAIN!!! Stupid weight!! why doesn't it just stay away!! :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: I am walking on the treadmill and jogging on it for 25 min. my total time on the treadmill is 55 min. I warm up for 15 min.with incline of 3.0 jog for 25 and cool down for 15.. my dr. is happy with me!! My incline is up to 1.5 - 2.0 and my speed when jogging is 4.9!! I burn over 400 calories on the treadmill!! Yay!!
Karen
sewhappyrtr

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Well, after having struggled to lose the weight, I gained some back, so I am again making the effort to lose the weight AGAIN!!! Stupid weight!! why doesn't it just stay away!!

I gained about 15 lbs this summer! Too many snacks with the kids & sitting & holding a baby!
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby bridesmom on Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:49 am

It's the one thing I really hate about getting older, the metabolism really slows down. If I try to eat what the 20-30 yr old women at work eat for lunch I'll put on 2-3 pounds in a week! I think I'd like a treadmill but it would have to go in the basement and no tv down there. I'd need something to watch though I suppose I could listen to the iPod. I've got 7-8 stupid pounds I just can't shake and if I could my clothes would fit a bit better

Good for you Karen for sticking with it!!! I wish you lived closer and we could walk together. I need to find a walking partner.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

PreviousNext

Return to Fashion and Style