I need suggestions.

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

I need suggestions.

New postby lendube on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm sorry to repeat myself since I've already mentioned what type of wedding my dd is having but I need suggestions as to what I can wear. Traditional MOB dresses are so not right for this occasion. Briefly, dd is wearing a very lightweight white cotton dress, halter style, ultra casual with sandals. Groom will be in jeans and a nice white shirt. We'll be in a campground/picnic area on a bridge over a river near the Sierras. Ceremony is at 6 p.m. It could be warm. It could be chilly. It's on the 21st of this month; Summer Solstice. There will be a small group of people, dh is officiating in some fishing style attire (dd's request). What does a MOB wear? A summer dress perhaps? The shoes will have to be practical. A capri set? A long dress? Any ideas? I won't necessarily make the outfit myself but I might. :think: What would you wear? After the ceremony we're having dinner at a nearby great but ultra casual steakhouse. TIA
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: I need suggestions.

New postby Mom of Six on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:31 pm

I would go with Capris or slacks with a nice top. But it sounds like wear what you are comfortable in kind of wedding.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby Sewing Lady on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Lennie, If it were me I would wear whatever I felt the most comfortable wearing. I would go with a sun dress and a shawl of some type. Or even a light, short jacket. You have a great frame, so anything will look great.

L
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Lennie, I second Leighanna's suggestion of a sun dress with some nice sandals & fun jewelry. I would have a lacy type shawl if it is a little cool. What has your daughter suggested that you wear? What's the groom's mom wearing? These things would factor in to my choice of outfits.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Bama on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm

I like the sundress suggestion and shawl or shoulder wrap in case it's chilly.
It sounds like it will be a lovely wedding. I went to a large, formal wedding today and your DD's plan sounds much more appealing to me. :)
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:03 am

It sounds great! I think either a summery dress or nice capris and a top would be very appropriate.

Sounds a bit similar to my wedding! My mom wore a lovely outfit -- some sort of colorful sheer overshirt or poncho over black pants and a top. Black sounds like it might be too warm in your situation, but I think it was from Coldwater Creek. Not sure if they are your style, but they seem to have a lot of options in the "smart/dressy/special casual" category.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby DorothyL on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:02 am

put me on the summer dress list.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Yeah, Coldwater Creek has beautiful clothing, beautiful quality. There's a store about an hour from here I know. Just drove by it today and didn't even think about it. :roll: Tomorrow however, I have an appt. for my Subaru's (as I accidentally said the other day) 15,000 dollar check up! :D The car will take about 1 1/2 hours and there are a couple of clothing stores and an entire mall within walking distance of the car dealership. I'll look around. I like the summer dress idea a lot. Thanks for the advice, ladies. :D
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Lennie, saw the dress on the other thread, and I love it.. I have a yard of Challis fabric that i use for a summer shawl.. I love it because you can ball it up in a knot and then open it and never find a wrinkle. And it feels good to the skin, so soft and it takes the chill off if the AC in the restaurant is too cool. With your dress, you could get a piece of any one of the shades in the dress and fringe a 1/2 inch fringe with a row of straight stitches to keep it from raveling and have a fantastic, comfortable, attractive MOB outfit.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Fashion and Style