Getting ready to sew for warmer weather

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

Getting ready to sew for warmer weather

New postby sewingmom on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:01 am

I just found a pattern I like Kwik Sew 3232 http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/PDF/3232.pdf. For you ladies that like to wear a skort in the summer months this is it and it has a nice cardigan and tank top with it. I like the fact that the shorts underneath are ment to be made out of a lighter weight fabric and the skirt does not look like pants from the back or front. I am ready to start some summer sewing for me. Maybe if I make it in the size I want to be I wil be able to push myself to diet and fit it by the time warm weather is here. Sounds like I need a SWAP. Hmmmm, skort, swimsuit, slacks, cardigan, tank top , chamisole, skirt, swimsuit coverup added to what I have already should be just what the doctor ordered to fight the winter blues and get ready for summer weather, I bought some fushia colored stretch terry a few weeks ago. I think I will start there. That should make one of these Items. Which one?
sewingmom

Re: Getting ready to sew for warmer weather

New postby esrun3 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:17 am

Nice pattern. I think the fuschia would look fabulous in the cardigan and/or tank top! Can't wait to see pictures
Lyn
esrun3

New postby sewingmom on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:05 pm

I'll start in January to ward off the seasonal depression.
sewingmom

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:43 pm

Great idea! I am having a hard time believing winter is really going to last a couple more months... :( You know how I love daydreaming and planning, so maybe looking ahead to summer is just the thing. That Kwik Sew pattern looks perfect for a warm weather wardrobe - what a great combination of options.

I found last spring/summer that my wardrobe is really lacking in short sleeve options, so I will definitely be working on some short sleeve woven blouses and knit tops. I could even wear them now under a sweater or jacket - the building where I work tends to vary a lot in temperature, so layering is a good idea anyway. Here are some of the patterns that are "on my list":
New Look 6407 - a classic button-down shirt, I'm imagining either a nice tone-on-tone textured cotton, or some kind of fine stripe
Simplcity 4076 - The scoopneck version for sure, in a nice cotton/lycra jersey
Vogue 2980 - faux bolero top in either a rayon or poly/lycra jersey

I just need to decide on colors for the tops. I'm an "autumn," which seems to make things difficult for spring/summer colors. I want to wear light colors, but pastels don't look great on me. I think I might focus more on prints with darker colors on a light background, and also some light yellow and coral, which seem to look nice on me.

What other colors are you thinking of to go with the fuschia, sewingmom? I think fuschia would go nicely with a lot of neutrals - black, white, khaki, etc, or if you could find a coordinating lighter pink that would be pretty for the tank top if you do the cardigan in fuschia.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby sewingmom on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:37 pm

Kaitlinn, I havn't thought that far. I just recently bought some white batiste. That would make a good button up sleeveless top and a white skort out of triger cloth or twill would work but I havn't a clue for the tank. I think it must be stretch and I don't have any for a suitable match to the fuschia. In fact I don't have many cordinating fabrics on hand. Maybe I will also shop in Jan. for Jersey fabrics or cotton interloc knits. Make some color suggestions. I am good in pinks, greens and beiges, browns, coral..
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:39 pm

Wow, I'm impressed that you are thinking that far ahead! I don't get to that point until I realize I have to start looking at my spring wardrobe and it's already spring, which is a little late to get sewing for the season. I do have some stash that I picked up last fall that is springy, but with the snow blowing around, I can't get my brain into warm weather gear!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kaitlinnegan on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:17 pm

Ack - it appears the warm weather is already upon us! How did your planning go, sewingmom? Have you made any finished garments?

I am wayy behind, and things are busy with school right now. Luckily I have a few nice fabrics on hand, and a few quick and easy patterns..so hopefully I can have some nice warm weather additions to my wardrobe very soon. I'm thinking knit tops (of course ;) ), a skirt or two in linen or denim, and some drawstring waist linen pants. More details and progress to come, hopefully!
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby bridesmom on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:26 am

I'm beginning to think I need to start sewing for spring in January! And in April, I should be planning my fall wardrobe so that they are done when the season hits! DD came up with 5 pieces of fabric to make spring dresses for DGD. And spring is here!!! Now I know why the garment industry brings out its spring collection in January!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Return to Fashion and Style