Clothing Rant

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

Clothing Rant

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:11 am

I have been rushing around trying to pick up a few things that I need before I leave for Ohio for 3 weeks on Sunday. I haven't gotten as much sewing done as I wanted to, so a couple of knit tops and a lightweight sweater were on my list. I've wasted numerous hours on unsuccessful shopping trips in the last couple weeks, so DH and I headed out one last time last night. After finding absolutely nothing at Ann Taylor Loft and a few other "boutique-y" shops, DH had the wonderful idea of stopping by Land's End. I ended up finding a nice scoopneck tank that fit me perfectly, and a lovely white linen blazer that would be perfect instead of a sweater. The tank was on sale for $7, so I picked up several colors without trying them on.

When I got them home, I thought I should try them on before washing them. Well, of my 5 tanks, 2 of them fit very well like the one I had tried on in the store, and 3 of them are too big! I laid them out on top of each other, and the bigger ones are about 1.5 inches wider (doubled - so 3" bigger around), and maybe half an inch longer. They were all marked "Small 6-8." :? I know size can vary a lot depending on the style of the garment, etc, but I would have though Land's End would be consistent with sizes at least within the same style. Unfortunately, I got the last small in several of the colors so I can't go back and check if there might be another small "Small," and they didn't have any extra smalls. :P My plan right now is to wash all of them, and if they don't shrink I will quickly serge up the sides of the ones that are too big. Yet another thing to do before I go! :brick:
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Re: Clothing Rant

New postby pucktricks on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:53 am

Yeah, one of the postings on here or Sew-What's-New was showing how jeans were made. And part of it was that they had piled up lots of them at once when it was cut for one size. So due to fabric shifting, the same size was slightly different in the same style.

Another sickening thing is when my husband goes in to buy pants, all he does is look at the waist and in-seam size to make sure it's the right size and then buys them and walks out the door. Me, I try on 10 different pairs, and maybe find one that's wearable.........

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby sewhappyrtr on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:23 pm

I absolutely hate to shop for RTW clothes. Its a fact ( I believe that the designers all are nasty evil people and laugh fiendishly at women trying on their clothes)
Why can't women/ladies/females clothing be the same sizes for all ... Why is a person a size 16 in some pants,, size XL in some tops,, size 14,, size 18... all for the same items... tops and pants.
:roll: :roll:
and it is also a fact that clothes that you don't want to shrink.... will ...and those that you wouldn't mind if they shrunk... will never.. no matter what you do to it... (dryer on HIGH>> for 1 hrs :D :D :D )
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
this is why all of us here.. are so great.. we all know this.. and make our own clothes when time lets us.. :) :) :)
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:49 pm

Kaitlinn,
Last summer , when I made 2 new tees for myself from that Connie Crawford pattern, they fit quite well.. Well, when I pulled them out this spring, I had lost more weight and they were a little baggy.. So, I did just what you talked about above, I serged the underarm seam all the way to the bottom, and extended into the sleeve a small amount also.. Now, they fit just right and I am so glad because they were great prints that I had in my stash and could not replace.. I came down another size on the pattern , and am stilll using it because it is so easy and I like the neckline.. Its a U but not extremely low. (suitable for older 'girls' ).. LOL
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:50 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated with shopping. ;) I do aim to make all my own clothes, but I'm trying not to feel bad about buying some RTW. The worst part is, with all the trouble I had finding new clothes, sewing might have been almost as fast!

Now I have at least figured out the reason for the difference in sizes. I laid out all the shirts today and was contemplating how much to take in the 3 shirts that are too big. Laying out one that fits on top of one that doesn't, I saw that the lines are actually quite different - the tops that fit are smaller through the bust and waist, but flare out to the width of the larger ones at the hip. The 3 that are too big are actually very consistent with each other, and upon closer inspection, those shirts were made in Macau, while the two that fit were made in El Salvador. So, they must be using entirely different patterns (or whatever you would call the industrial equivalent) at the two factories. Of course, that doesn't really help me, but it's interesting to know. Something to watch out for in the future, I suppose, although no guarantee that 2 shirts made in the same factory will be the same of course. :P I've learned my lesson and will try on each item from here on out. Hopefully I won't need to be shopping for RTW again very soon. ;)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby bridesmom on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:46 pm

I've found that I have to try on everything, like you I found a tshirt I liked, picked up three different colors and they all fit differently. Which is OK if there are too big and you can take them in, but if they are too small, then you have to go back to the store and exchange them, if you can. Sometimes the hassle isn't worth it.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kmccrea on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:43 am

I absolutely hate RTW! The only thing I buy is my work shirts (white button downs). Don't even get me started on pants and skirts. I have a swayback and there is nothing in RTW world that does not leave an unsightly bump of fabric at the small of my back. My waist is 10 inches smaller than my hips and that presents another set of fitting problems. I do not ever buy bottoms or dresses and all the clothes I seem to see are ugly anyway. Yes, with the investment of time involved in shopping, I'm better off making my own and having something I truly love and that fits.
Katherine McCrea
Designer At Large
kmccrea

New postby Sancin on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:30 pm

I often think that when the sizes are labelled the same yet are in fact different sizes that somehow the labels got mixed up in the factory. It always surprises me. It seems to becoming more and more frequent, as well.

The other thing that surprises me is when you tell the sales clerk about it they laugh, but don't change the label, or make note of it! :shame:
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 pm

I think a lot of designers use vanity sizing in their designs as well as a lot of ease in their clothing. Since the clothes are sewn in third world countries by many who are undereducated. I don't think there is very good quality control which makes it even harder to have a standard. Also, there is the language barrier in getting things done according to the designs. I like to read this blog http://www.fashion-incubator.com/ on the clothing industry. It is very informative.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:21 pm

I would just like to see the model that they do their sizing from. I'm like Katherine, my waist is 10" smaller than my hips and anything that fits my hips is huge on my waist. Even the low rise pants are huge. Do they make clothes for rectangles??
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

Next

Return to Fashion and Style