Short-sleeve dress

Developing your personal style, building your wardrobe, and the latest trends.

Short-sleeve dress

New postby SmilieFace on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:31 am

Okay. I'm looking for a short-sleeve dress that's cute, and appropriate for work and play. It should be work for someone in her mid to late twenties. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time finding this! Oh, and I would prefer it not to be a knit.

Alternatively, I suppose I could use a cardigan/bolero-type pattern that I can use with long-sleeves, short-sleeves, or 3/4-sleeves.

Any ideas?
SmilieFace

Re: Short-sleeve dress

New postby sewingrandma on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:35 am

How about Simplicity 3827? It is a dress or can be a top and skirt combo. Patternreview gives it high praise. I actually bought it for my DD. Found some peach cloth on sale last week that I know she'll love.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby temom on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:18 pm

Brockie, I really like that!
Theresa
temom

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 pm

You might like Simplicity #2888 or #2926 or #3877 or 4074. All of those are very chic for office but have views for summertime fun. Hope this helps.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby SmilieFace on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:11 pm

I do like 2926, and 3877. But on the way home from lunch, I picked up Simplicity 2885. It's a little late for me to start my weekend project, but maybe I can work on it over the next week.

I do have a question, though. The pattern lists linen among the suggested fabrics, and I plan to use a lightweight linen. However, the pattern doesn't include a zipper. Will this work okay?
SmilieFace

New postby paroper on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Simplicity 3870 is one that I made my dd last year. It is just really cute made up. I did hers in red with white polka with white trim. It is really cute made up in the plaid too but I couldn't find one that I liked for the pattern. I had planned to use a plaid plisse.

This might be the wrong season, but if I can find the fabric to make this one, it is on my list (for dd) too.

http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8146 ... r&page=all
pam

Bernina 200e, Artista V5 Designer Plus, Explorations, Magic Box, Bernina 2000DE & 335 Bernette Serger, Bernina 1530 Sewing Machine, Bernina 1300 DC Overlock (with coverstitch)
paroper

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:27 pm

Because it opens in the front with a placket and buttons, I would think that you could pull it over your head. Be sure to check your ease amount. However, sometimes those Project Runway pattern directions are very confusing. I think they are designed for an intermediate seamstress. At least that is what I have read on several sewing blogs. The styles do not appeal to me so I haven't bought any.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:27 am

I'm a little late to this thread, but I like the pattern you picked out! I bet that despite the pattern photo (which looks rather close-fitting), it is actually pretty loose fitting so you can slip it on. The buttons don't really extend into the waist area, so I bet it is fairly loose there. I would baste it together first to see if you like the way it fits. If you wanted it a bit more fitted, I bet you could pretty easily pinch in the sides a little and add a side zipper.

I couldn't resist looking for a couple more short sleeve dress patterns even though you've already found one - pattern browsing is one of my favorite things to do on a Sunday morning. Here are a few ideas, in case you need a few more:
Simplicity 2927 - I like that banded neckline with the button, and it looks like the sleeves might be kind of tulip shaped?
Simplicity 2965 - another "Project Runway" - I have to admit, I hadn't really looked at the Project Runway patterns, but they have some nice options!
Simplicity 4118 - a nice basic sheath dress
Butterick 4443 - basic A-line dresses, with an option for cap sleeves - I've made this one once, and just picked up another copy since I need a different size now. It's a nice basic design with a lot of room for playing with different fabrics and embellishments. :)
Butterick 5179 - this is similar to the dress you posted here: green dress, but with an option for short sleeves
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Keelvin on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:28 am

That sounds like a great idea with reattaching the Short Sleeve T Shirts to the end of the jacket. I might take them to a tailor and have that taken care of.
Keelvin

New postby plrlegal on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:05 pm

Kaitlinnegan, I made the Butterick 5179 in a black and light grey linen with a black band around the bottom and short sleeves to wear Easter Sunday morning. I'll see if I can get a decent picture and post it.

Patsy
DSCN2021.JPG
DSCN2021.JPG (162.42 KB) Viewed 3058 times
DSCN2022.JPG
DSCN2022.JPG (146.19 KB) Viewed 3062 times
"Quilting Is My Therapy...I've Been Preshrunk"
plrlegal

Next

Return to Fashion and Style